When a man does a chore

by Kay~Kacey on 11/21/2008

So….I decided I couldn’t stand the plainness of my dining room walls at The Love Nest.

dining room wall

So I bought a mirror to hang on the wall. Besides it’s the wall opposite the doors to the balcony, so I figured it would reflect back the light, right?

So we find a mirror that has the reddish tones of the mahogany as well as a black trim that matches the seats to the dining room table. All set, right? Oh, and beveled glass. I love beveled glass!

So SuperGuy proceeds to hang the mirror.

toolbox

Well, first we had to make up a toolbox for The Love Nest. :roll: All full of lots of toolie things that might someday be needed for “chores” around The Love Nest. (okay, you are warned…there might be an over abundance of eye rolls in this post…)

picture wire

First we needed picture wire. Well, this isn’t really picture wire, it’s some wire from the 7,592 miles of wire that we have at the house. At least he used up like 36 inches of it for this project. :roll:

Then we argued discussed for awhile about where the best place for the mirror should be. Copious measuring and levels are involved with this step. :roll:

martini help

I help out with my own suggestions in my own martini helpful way. (As an aside….I SO need martini glasses for The Love Nest…and wine glasses for that matter) But I digress…

just the right screw

Then we have to find just the right screw to use for this project. A little plastic thingie that you then put the real live metal screw in. Who knew there were such things in the magic toolbox?? :roll:

mirror on wall

Finally the chore is finished and my pretty mirror is up on the wall. Doesn’t it look nice? But, wait! Is the chore really finished? Can a male really just do one chore without getting distracted?? :wallbash:

fix chair

Oh, good. Now all the screws on my dining room chairs are all tightened up too! Who knew they even needed it??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do the males in your life sometimes make projects just a bit more complicated than they actually need to be?? Get a bit sidetracked when they set out to do a chore? Males. Gotta love ‘em.

Dru November 21, 2008 at 4:33 am

I love the placement of the mirror. It really looks nice.

Mental P Mama November 21, 2008 at 7:59 am

Do not get me started on the chore ritual. Today is “vacuum the garage” day. I am going on a road trip to Massachusetts. I swear.

Debra November 21, 2008 at 8:21 am

I think all men share the same chromosome when it comes to domestic chores/repairs. Doughboy is pretty good at this type of stuff but he lacks precision. Can the man ever use a level please?? When hanging anything (towel bars, picture frames, etc.) he “eyeballs” it without using a level. The problem is his eyeball is crooked – by a mile! Arghhhhh! I can’t stand it!

Jacque Ruch November 21, 2008 at 8:46 am

Um no…my husband doesn’t do chores around the house…hence the gazillion unfinished projects :wallbash: Oh how I’d love for him to make it more work than it has to be, or to even do it at all! :angry:
By the way….I live for your emoticons. You should do a post on how to put these on your blog. I’d love to know.

TSannie November 21, 2008 at 9:19 am

If my male tried either of those – or anything else, for that matter – it would be a disaster from start to finish. He has to be the most unhandy person God ever put on earth! He makes up for it in other ways, tho. :wink:

Gayle November 21, 2008 at 9:24 am

The mirror looks great! Can you come and decorate my house? We’ve lived here for thirteen years and it’s embarrassing that some of the things that we planned on changing are still the same!

Kacey November 21, 2008 at 9:35 am

Jacque…I only know how to add smilies to Wordpress blogs, not blogger blogs. Sorry!

My mirror still looks beautiful this morning. :love: :coffee2:

Sarah S. November 21, 2008 at 10:02 am

Yes and mine never cleans up after and leaves all the things he used to do the job out for a week! :wallbash:

Deb November 21, 2008 at 10:07 am

If there is a task, my husband will jump on it. He is manic about things that must be done. I am not complaining in the least..
Love nest lookin good!

Carin November 21, 2008 at 10:37 am

That mirror does look really nice. My husband usually gets to things in a flash and then won’t stop. It’s on to the next chore, then the next…. and so on. Not all bad but sometimes he needs to just chill out for a few.

WillThink4Wine November 21, 2008 at 10:47 am

I really wish I had me a Super Guy and a Love Nest. ::sigh:: :cry:

Tori Lennox November 21, 2008 at 11:00 am

Oh, man, my dad is the worst about making chores more complicated than necessary! Drives me and Mom crazy. :wallbash:

Kate November 21, 2008 at 11:20 am

Maybe it’s not just a man thing. I know when I get my screwdrivers out I want to tighten everything. Sigh.

:lips:

Amy A November 21, 2008 at 11:36 am

I live with a teen and a tween male. ADDING difficulty to assigned tasks is NOT a problem.

Suzanne November 21, 2008 at 12:57 pm

That mirror looks fantastic!!!! Love it!!

This Eclectic Life November 21, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Doesn’t EVERY male get sidetracked? I thought that was a requirement or something.

Deb. November 21, 2008 at 8:24 pm

mirror looks great!
my SO does alot of things around this old house.
Unfortunately he takes on many things half-arse and often it requires a minimum of 2 trips to the hardware store.

Maria November 21, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Gotta Love em is right! It is difficult for me to get mine away from his computer long enough to hang a mirror. But shucks, what would we do without them.

I impressed that he didn’t stop with the mirror but tightened the chairs too. What a Man!

Susan Lindgren November 21, 2008 at 10:41 pm

And when your project comes around man stand over ya every 5 minutes asking if your done- that ask what took so long :roll:
It looks great!

Katharina November 21, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Isn’t it wonderful to have such a handy man to do your bidding? And the mirror does indeed look beautiful. And your chairs will not wobble. It is all good.

Katharina November 21, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Oh, and Sarah S.: my DH does that too. I just hate cleaning up the tools and mess and more often leave it for the week or whatever.

Flea November 22, 2008 at 12:55 am

Wait. You have to be male to do these things? I’m the one who tightens the screws in the chairs and hangs mirrors here. And tiles floors. Love it! Tell your sweetie he’s doing a fine job and give him a huge smackeroo!

Amy November 22, 2008 at 9:27 am

It’s lovely … right out of a Pottery Barn catalogue! It appears you and SuperGuy are having quite the time adorning the Love Nest. Enjoy!

Sandra November 23, 2008 at 5:52 pm

It is amazing how just the addition of that mirror really “polishes” the room. It’s a lovely mirror. I think guys just like to use their tools — it’s so, so manly!