Mother Guilt

by Kay~Kacey on 12/7/2008

You know how moms always second guess themselves? We wonder if we should have done things differently? We feel guilty, years later, about the littlest things.

mother guilt

Like this scar on The Geeky One’s face. No, it’s there. Down on his jawline. (under the “no I haven’t shaved” face.)

Here, I’ll point it out to you.

chicken pox scar

That red SCAR on his face. :roll: So I was looking at him and thinking “I can’t believe I let the chicken pox get out of control like that when he was little, so he has a SCAR from it now.” :roll: Yes, I realize I’m not being totally rational here. But then, when does a mom have to be totally rational??? I feel guilty every time this SCAR catches my attention. No, don’t tell me that I had to blow up the picture and point it out to you. That doesn’t help. I still feel badly… I feel GUILTY. Yes, just another case of mother guilt.

How about you? Are there some MAJOR relatively minor things that give you a good case of mother’s guilt?

iPost December 7, 2008 at 7:53 am

Yes, like when I cracked Ty’s head open on the corner of the wall when he was 4. He has a scar in his hairline. (In my defense, we were playing a run and capture game and he slipped from my hands and banged his head…it was NOT in anger!) :oops:

My hubby, Brian, has three scars on his face from when he was little and stood too close to the fire on the farm where his uncle was burning plastic! His brother threw something in the fire, splattering the now-liquified plastic onto his face! Ouch! :cry:

Mental P Mama December 7, 2008 at 8:14 am

Once when I was rinsing chicken, so of the water landed near my son’s mouth. I think my reaction must have done him in, because not a week goes by that he doesn’t remind me of how I tried to poison him with raw chicken. Little dickens :angry:

vodkamom December 7, 2008 at 8:36 am

I have guilt about EVERYTHING. take your pick. :smile:

Amy December 7, 2008 at 9:43 am

My list is way too lengthy for this space. I promised Rhett a fire pit (You know, one of those $60 ones you can buy at Target) to enjoy with his friends his last year in high school. I didn’t follow through, and now he’s away at school.

Tori Lennox December 7, 2008 at 10:17 am

I hate to break it to you, but I couldn’t see the scar even with the blown up picture. *g*

vodkamom December 7, 2008 at 1:59 pm

got something for you over at my place.

Amy A December 7, 2008 at 3:17 pm

The scar makes him look rugged.

Suzanne December 7, 2008 at 4:15 pm

You need to stop feeling guilty about that!!! :whip crack:

Gayle December 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I feel guilty about too many things. I can’t pick one!

Kate December 8, 2008 at 12:09 am

Yes, I have some guilt, but don’t we all? And I, too, think that scar makes him look rugged. It’s hardly visible!
:lips:

midwestmom December 8, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I feel guilt for the one (and only) time I thought I was too tired to go to my son’s soccer game. Of course he broke his arm at that game!!!

Katharina December 8, 2008 at 3:46 pm

OHHHH. The older I get, the more things pop into my mind to be guilty about. It’s like I didn’t realize my stupidity at the time and now it all comes back to haunt me. And yes, my son has a hairline scar too. And no, it didn’t happen in anger. I’ve traded war stories with my friends. Apparently we are ALL GUILTY. (For what it is worth, I have a scar from diaper rash-what were my parents thinking?!!) HA! I told you–we are all guilty.

Debbie December 8, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Oh! I came here to see if you wrote about Twilight because I saw your comment at Mama’s and then saw this.

I took my son to see the fireworks when he was 3. He slept through most of them. Only afterwards did I realize I had traumatized the poor child to be terrified of loud noises. Every year after that was pure hell. I could go on and on. Just in the past few years (he’s 22) has he overcome his fear. This was MAJOR and yes, guilt, guilt, guilt.