An Adorable Find

by Kay~Kacey on 12/11/2008

I found the most adorable surprise when I was out antiquing with SuperGuy. No, of course it wasn’t anything we really were looking for. But they SO called my name! The siren call of…

…antique teacups and snack plates…

antique teacup and snack saucer

Aren’t they adorable?

set of 4 antique teacups and saucers

I got a set of 4 of them! I love them more than my real live china…which I have definitely fallen out of love with. How about you? Do you still have your original china from years ago? Mine is okay, but I just don’t feel the love for it anymore… Well, anyway, that’s a post for another day. I’ll do a post on my “good china”.

This post if about my cute teacups and snack plates. I love them. :love:

antique teacup closeup

It’s been a good month for antiquing for me! First the porcelain hands. And of course the milk glass. Okay, I confess, I have lots more a few more pieces of milk glass I haven’t shown you yet. Then these lovely teacups. I feel the intense desire to have an old fashioned tea party. With the hand embroidered table linens from my grandmother, the tea set, and some scones or something. Anyone want to come?? Beats the heck out of Christmas shopping!

I’m not sure what attracts me to antique malls, thrift shops, or flea markets. I just like the idea of using some pretty piece of…furniture, lamps, teacups, milk glass…whatever…that is no longer wanted or loved. Recycling at its finest. Okay, plus I like pretty things!

Marcia December 11, 2008 at 7:38 am

I fell out of love with my wedding china years ago and gave it to my daughter-in-law. It looks SO much better in her house. I love the china I bought to replace it, but that is now discontinued. This time of year the problem is solved with my Christmas china, the Holly and Ivy pattern from Portmeirion. Love those snack sets!

Rene December 11, 2008 at 9:33 am

I love those snack plates and cups. I’ve been reading your antiquing posts and wondered how you get the man out there. My hubby would go into convulsions if I took him to an antique mall (we have a nice one not too far away).

I didn’t get my first set of nice china until last year. Never bothered with it before.

Kacey December 11, 2008 at 11:04 am

Rene, SuperGuy looks at old tools and tries to figure out what they did, how they work…and boring stuff like that. While I look for pretty things!

Amy A December 11, 2008 at 11:27 am

We had a set of china from my grandmother’s wedding (1945), but couldn’t keep the whole collection. So we kept the tea cups and wine glasses and passed the place settings on to another grandchild.

Do not have our own wedding china. Tossed it in the last move.

I’d rather have nice every day dishes.

Melissa Marsh December 11, 2008 at 11:51 am

OHHH. I LOVE those! I am a sucker for tea cups anyway, but those are just gorgeous!

My mother gave me her china a few years ago so I haven’t fallen out of love with it yet. ;-)

Treasia/TruckersWife December 11, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Kacey those are sooo pretty. I love them. I absolutely love to go antique shopping and actually so does Trucker. Our only problem is no money when we go. :rofl: We both have now (in our minds)redecorated our house in the Victorian theme more times than we can count. Someday maybe we can actually start doing this.

Tori Lennox December 11, 2008 at 1:00 pm

The snack sets are adorable, Kacey!

TSannie December 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm

What a great find! I still like my china, but LOVE the antique service my M-I-L bought for me at a garage sale near Chicago (Roselle). It is just wonderful…and I can’t remember the name of it…

mary December 11, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Oooooo, they are SO pretty! I actually never got a formal set of china when I got married, but I ended up with my mom’s, my aunt’s and several other partial sets that I’ve collected over the years. I kind of like to mix and match them all. And you already know that I LOVE thrift stores and antique shops. I just bought 8 transferware bone dishes for $12. at the thrift store today. I’ll have to post a pic soon. ;)
xoxo,
Mary

Deb December 11, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I, too, fell out of love with my original china pattern. Years ago, when you saved money. banks actually gave you gifts. Remember? We collected an entire set of a very traditional white china with silver trim and tiney blue flowers. I gave it to my daughter who cherishes it. Recycling at its best!