All About the Cowl

by Kay~Kacey on 12/15/2008

This year I’m all about the cowl. I can’t seem to quit knitting them. They are a quick knit, and I love to wear one with a button up shirt, or over a long sleeve tshirt.

lime cowl
This lime colored cowl to go with my Wicked tshirt. Though this one is a bit too big, I think I’ll rip it out and make it smaller. Or just make a new one… Pattern here. Birthday cowl.

sock yarn cowl

This one from sock yarn held doubled. I mean, sometimes sock yarn is too pretty to hide in your shoes, you know? Pattern Here. Gloria cowl.

cabled cowl

This one is my favorite. Don’t you love it’s cabley goodness? I made this pattern up. I used Frog Tree Meriboo yarn…a mixture of merino and bamboo. Lovely yarn. If I can find my notes, I could post the pattern if anyone is interested.

meriboo cabled cowl

It’s very darling with my snowflake necklace, isn’t it??

tudora cowl

This one in organic cotton cabley goodness. With my ruby red slippers pin! Tudora pattern. (though I modified it a bit to fit my yarn guage.) It’s from the online knitting magazine Knitty.

I’m having the hardest time taking pics of me in these cowls. My arms aren’t long enough! I’ll have to have SuperGuy do a photo shoot for me, okay? :secret: Anyway, chances are, if you’re on my Christmas list this year, you’re getting a handknit cowl!

So, do any of you knit? Or what is your handicraft of choice? Or do you not have one? Well, I’d talk more, but I’m off to go knit another cowl…

Dru December 15, 2008 at 5:37 am

You cowls came out nice. I tried knitting but it didn’t call me.

I’m a quilter and I love it. I like the notion of looking at fabric and seeing how the finished project materialize.

Margery Scott December 15, 2008 at 6:57 am

Do I knit? Yes. More lately than I have in a long time. Love your cowls, but I can’t wear them. Too hot. I’m knitting an afghan right now, and it’s starting to get really heavy.

Amy December 15, 2008 at 7:57 am

You should sell these on your site … seriously. I love them! A friend of mine who is an ordained minister teacher a class called “The Spirituality of Knitting.” I hear
the pastime is quite relaxing and puts one in a Zen-like state. Maybe I should add this art to my new year’s resolutions!

Suzanne December 15, 2008 at 8:09 am

I wish I knew how to knit! Those are cool!

This Eclectic Life December 15, 2008 at 8:26 am

Love “em! Thanks for sharing the pattern links. I’ve been knitting scarves on big gauge needles (my hands are kinda screwy right now, so I have to use bulky yarn, where you don’t see the knit). Once I get back to “normal,” I think I’d love to try this. :beer:

Becky December 15, 2008 at 8:53 am

I knit and crochet. I don’t do much knitting, it takes too long to complete something. Except for small things. I knit washcloths and that’s about it.
I can’t wear something like one of those cowls. It would drive me nuts up around my neck like that.
Serious. Gives me headaches and everything. But they look cute on you! Maybe I could make socks.

Kacey December 15, 2008 at 9:57 am

I’m always cold…well, except for when I’m hot :wink: so I love wearing these cowls. I’m so not a winter person!

TSannie December 15, 2008 at 10:05 am

How nice those are! I’m so very impressed with your knitting skills. Can’t do that. Toasty, toasty!

Mental P Mama December 15, 2008 at 11:30 am

I cannot knit for the life of me….so I’ll take one in every color. Thanks.

iPost December 15, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Pretty! And I agree…you should sell them! :smile:

Tori Lennox December 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm

I am so not an artsy-craftsy sort of girl.

Kate December 15, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I knit but am not as experienced as you. I can knit a scarf, however! I used to sell them at my friends’ shop.

Flea December 15, 2008 at 4:39 pm

You can do that? You can wear one of those not attached to anything? I’m from the deep south and clueless about winter wear. My passion is smocking.

Gayle December 15, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Kacey, you do beautiful work. I have knit a few things, but I have a very hard time with it. If I make a mistake I’m lost and don’t know how to fix it.

Chere December 16, 2008 at 4:42 pm

No, I’m a scrap booker through and through. Just spent the last two days cleaning up the basement from all my scrap book treasures.

Becky December 17, 2008 at 11:34 am

Ha! I didn’t know you knitted! Lovely stuff there. I have been thinking about some cowl-age to knit up some hand spun. Quick and easy knits for small amounts of yarn. Just the right thing if one wants to splurge on some really nice (and expensive!) stuff.