Baby It’s Cold Outside

by Kay~Kacey on 12/16/2008

We got hit with an ice storm.

cold female cardinal

The temperature dropped from 58 to 19 degrees in a few hours.

male cardinal on frozen branch

My birdies are not amused.

Neither am I.

frozen porch railing

I’m thinking I’ll stay inside and bake Christmas cookies. I’m so not a winter person! We’re supposed to get another ice storm tonight. Oh joy…

(Advance warning. I’m hoping to get the Photo of 2008 contest up next Monday, December 22. Make sure you drop by and vote!)

iPost December 16, 2008 at 7:14 am

Ick! I like winter, but only if I am inside with a cup of tea and a warming blanket. Oh how I miss my fireplace! Hope you all don’t get it too bad where the electric goes off and such! Keep us posted!

Mental P Mama December 16, 2008 at 7:26 am

Brrr. :bath:

TSannie December 16, 2008 at 8:10 am

I wonder how Columbia did…

Your cardinals are beautiful!

Suzanne December 16, 2008 at 8:55 am

I love those bird pictures!! Can’t wait to see the Photo of 2008 post and pics!!

WillThink4Wine December 16, 2008 at 8:56 am

Love the Cardinals. They seem a bit chubbier than mine. Is that their winter weight?

Kacey December 16, 2008 at 9:07 am

The cardinals are all fluffed up against the bitter cold. Sigh. More ice and snow expected today. Is it spring yet?

Starwoodgal December 16, 2008 at 10:14 am

That reminds me. I need to buy bird seed!

Deb December 16, 2008 at 10:38 am

I hope you are feeding those cardinals lots of luscious bird seed to keep them going.

Chicago breast cancer December 16, 2008 at 10:40 am

It looks the same here in Chicago. I think when this happens, it’s great (minus the accidents and power outages); the water frozen over the trees looks so pretty in the twilight, it seems like there is a layer over everything. Stay warm!

Kate December 16, 2008 at 11:04 am

Oh, my gosh! These are exquisite photos of cardinals, Kacey. Just jealous here in Maryland.

PS ~ It’s beginning to ice here, too.

mary December 16, 2008 at 11:30 am

Beautiful photos, Kacey! Man, that looks COLD, though… stay warm, hope the next storm misses you. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Melissa Marsh December 16, 2008 at 11:57 am

We finally got snow today! I was absolutely giddy when I woke up. Still very cold outside, though.

Sarah S. December 16, 2008 at 2:10 pm

We are going to get icy tonight. I am hoping for no school tomorrow!

Tori Lennox December 16, 2008 at 2:33 pm

We got hit by the same storm system. I’m not much amused either. Except for, y’know, getting out of going to the dentist. *g*

All our birdies are fluffed up, too. And flocking the feeders like there’s no tomorrow.

Chere December 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Buuurrrr! Sorry about the cool ice. Your photo looks cold. Come join us in big A Town (Atlanta). It is 68 degrees as I write this. My cardinals are flying back and forth to the feeders. I was thinking of turning the heater on in the pool for my nieces this week-end. Stay warm and inside, cookies sound good.

Debra Rector December 16, 2008 at 6:25 pm

I’d rather have snow than ice. Hmmm…you could always move to Georgia. It was 68 degrees today…downright balmy! The next few days are supposed to get even warmer into the 70’s. I love it!

Your cardinal photos are AWESOME! I am so jealous!

Marcie December 17, 2008 at 8:23 am

Stunning images! Hope these birds fly south soon..before they get stuck in the ice and snow!!!

Gayle December 17, 2008 at 10:32 am

Your bird photos are so beautiful! I love to see the Cardinals around during the winter. They look extra pretty compared to the dull winter colors.

Deserthen December 17, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Beautiful bird photos!! Ice can do so much damage. I hope your ice storm wasn’t to bad? We have had snow and ice here the last few days…it was minus 2 this morning and only 3 degrees when I drove in to work…….chatter, chatter, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!