All the Little Pretties

by Kay~Kacey on 12/19/2008

I love our Christmas tree. Well, not so much the tree itself. It is an artificial tree (can’t stand the thought of cutting down a tree for just a couple of weeks–though I admit I miss the smell of a fresh tree.)The tree is old. Maybe 20 years? It’s falling apart a bit.

But the ornaments! I love the ornaments. So much history and memories packed onto those branches.

night before Christmas ornament

I’ve had this ornament since my very first Christmas tree in my first apartment. The whole poem is written in the ornament. It’s fragile now, but I love it. I always tell the boys “this was my very first ornament.” They act like I haven’t said that to them every Christmas for the last 20 odd years. :wink:

Joan Walsh Anglund ornament

This one I’ve had forever too. A Joan Walsh Anglund ornament. I got one of her calenders every year while I was growing up. Yes, they were overly sweet, but I loved them. There’s a matching little girl to him too, but I couldn’t find where she was hiding on the tree to take her picture. We have a LOT of ornaments…

handmade ornament

All of the boys made one of these angels in kindergarten from their little feet and hands. Only one seems to have survived, but I prize it more than the most expensive ornament you could buy.

snowman ornament

Every year my mom gives each boy an ornament, with their name and the year on it. They’ll have a starter set of ornaments when they have their own trees. But I’ll sure miss them on my tree. But do the math…5 boys, yearly ornaments. Yep, we have more than one ornament on each branch.

Mizzou Tiger Ornament

We have the obligatory Mizzou Tiger for sharing the school spirit.

pretty heart ornament

I’m allowed the few, random, pretty girly ornaments…though they are WAY overwhelmed by the male stuff like … Balls–baseballs, footballs, soccer balls, hockey pucks…you name it. What is it with males and balls?

Rudolph ornament

Well, and of course, a Rudolph ornament. Actually, quite a few of them. Who would have guessed?? :wink:

I know people have lovely Christmas trees. Matching pretty ornaments and lovely bows tied strategically on the tree. But I love my kaleidoscope of bright ornaments all stuffed here and there on the branches. So many memories. So much love.

(Don’t forget the Photo of 2008 contest will be up here on the blog on Monday!)

Kate December 19, 2008 at 6:23 am

How could you do this to me? Now I am thinking of changing my mind about the tree. Arghhhhh!

iPost December 19, 2008 at 7:30 am

Mine is just like that! I even still have the ugly clay Santa that I made in Kindergarten 31 years ago! I didn’t even paint inside the lines. This thing looks like an axe murderer and can give you nightmares! I hang it every year, but I hang it in the back :shock:

Suzanne December 19, 2008 at 8:32 am

I love your ornaments–especially the girlie ones and the Rudolphs!

Becky December 19, 2008 at 8:47 am

My tree is like yours. Filled with memories. It’s definitely not a fashion statement.
I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Rene December 19, 2008 at 9:08 am

I love your ornaments.

I had a lot more sentimental ornaments on my tree but the kids kept playing with them over the years and they have disintegrated. I like trees with meaningful ornaments. My mom has two trees: a fake with coordinated decorations and a live with her personal favorites.

I thought of you the other day. I was in Toys R Us and they had a huge collecetion of “Rudolph” playsets. I couldn’t believe how many different items they had based on a 22 minute show.

Deb December 19, 2008 at 9:21 am

Great idea for a post. You will see this on my blog with my collection of ornament….I love yours!

Gayle December 19, 2008 at 10:39 am

Kacey, I love this post and your tree filled with memories and love! My tree is also not fashionable. My favorite ornaments are the ones that were made by by kids.

Mental P Mama December 19, 2008 at 10:39 am

I don’t think there’s anything more fun than pulling the sentimental ornaments out of their boxes every year. Just wonderful. :angel:

Melissa Marsh December 19, 2008 at 11:06 am

My tree has lots of ornaments that don’t match – some from my childhood, some that my daughter has made, and a few other random ones that I’ve collected over the years. :)

jaKKi December 20, 2008 at 12:43 am

:cry: I SO miss having a tree….I’m afraid my puppy will eat it.

mary December 21, 2008 at 9:28 am

Awww, those are the BEST ornaments! We have a little paper and cotton “Lamb of God” ornament that my son made in kindergarten, and lots of funky animal ornaments that I’ve given my kids over the years, too….

Merry Christmas, Kacey!
xoxo,
Mary

TSannie December 23, 2008 at 9:22 am

What a wonderful post, Kacey – so many memories here. Last year I FINALLY went through all our ornaments and separated my 3 kids into their own boxes. (And I still have more than enough for our tree!) Like your mom, their grandmother and one of their aunties (plus me) have been giving each of them an ornament for the last 20 something years. The three of them have a good start on filling their Christmas tree!