Traditional Oatmeal Cookies

by Kay~Kacey on 12/20/2008

This recipe has been in our family for generations. It makes the best oatmeal cookies ever. Really.

oatmeal cookie ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening (I use butter, I’m sure my grandmother used lard…)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 C Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (you can use Quick, but I prefer Old Fashioned)
couple tablespoons of powdered sugar for flattening cookies

Makes about 3-4 dozen, depending on size.

kitchenaide mixer

Cream shortening, both sugars, and eggs. Preferably in a lovely KitchenAid mixer. I heart my Red KitchenAid mixer. (Yes, I realize my grandmother mixed her cookies by hand, but I had to go tangential there for a minute. They are still authentic traditional oatmeal cookies if you use a mixer. Trust me!)

Add the rest of the incredients (except the powdered sugar). Mix well. Drop cookies onto greased cookie sheet.

powered sugar mess

Put some powdered sugar in a bowl. Try not to makes a mess like I did.

powdered sugar

If it’s Christmas time and you use a red bowl, so much the better. :mrgreen:

flatten cookies

Flatten the cookies with a fork dipped in powdered sugar.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

milk and cookies

Serve with an ice cold glass of milk. (and if you think that’s all the cookies I ate, you’re sadly mistaken! :roll: ) You can also substitute a nice glass of wine for the cold glass of milk. Both work well as a side beverage. :lol: Enjoy.

WillThink4Wine December 20, 2008 at 5:37 am

Well, you probably can guess my side beverage! :smile: That is a completely different recipe from mine, I may just have to try it. I even have the perfect red bowl!

Debra Rector December 20, 2008 at 8:18 am

Oatmeal cookies are my favorite! I never feel bad about eating them, afterall they contain many of the essential food groups, such as dairy and grains. At Christmas I like to add chopped maraschino cherries for a festive color. Doughboy likes his cookies with raisins. Mmmmmm…I think I just worked myself up to making a batch! Almost certainly I will be sipping a glass of crisp, fruity Reisling while watching my mixer do its magic.

Kate December 20, 2008 at 8:36 am

Sounds like a plan for a rainy afternoon here . . . thanks!

Suzanne December 20, 2008 at 8:41 am

I love the red dishes!!! (The cookies look yummy, too!)

Becky December 20, 2008 at 9:07 am

I LOVE oatmeal cookies.
But I gave up on trying to find a recipe. They always turned out too dry.
I WILL try yours, since you have stuck with this one for so long. But I’m adding raisins.

Kacey December 20, 2008 at 9:50 am

I love and adore oatmeal cookies. I think they’re my favorite cookie. Maybe. Well, except when I’m craving chocolate. Which I am this morning…

Mental P Mama December 20, 2008 at 9:56 am

We made these yesterday, too. With chocolate chips;) :coffee2:

Deb December 20, 2008 at 10:16 am

Yummm….I’m going out to buy oatmeal right now.

iPost December 20, 2008 at 11:58 am

Yum! My hubby does the Christmas cookies. He baked 8 dozen this morning! Started at 7am and finished just before noon. Thanks for sharing your family recipe!

dlyn December 20, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Thet look realy good Kacey!

Tori Lennox December 20, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Yummy yum yum!!!

Daisy December 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I love oatmeal cookies! My favorites have raisins or dried cranberries in them. This recipe sounds delicious.

Chere December 21, 2008 at 5:07 pm

On Baby! Oh Baby! I love oatmeal cookies. I really love them when they are warm with a glass of milk. Watch out thighs here they come. Oh yeah, I have gotten mine in the mail. ????? :lol:

sara rodrigues July 14, 2010 at 6:43 am

i really love the cookies you people made :secret: :lips: :believe: :angel: :P :blah: can you people made one for me

Vivian February 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Is that “T” for Teaspoon? Or Tablespoon?

Kacey February 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

That t is for teaspoon…sorry, I’m showing my age. t was always teaspoon in recipes and T was Tablespoon.

Hope August 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

hi, i am 13, and i made these once when i was home alone. I loved them! my parents loved them. And my parents said i should sell them. and i thought it was a good idea.(i am trying to save up my money to get tickets to a One Direction concert) i was wondering if i could make the cookies and sell them. im just asking for your permission, Kacey. x :)

Kacey August 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hope, glad you like them. Feel free to make and sell them.