A Dear Deer Story

by Kay~Kacey on 12/29/2008

Once upon a time there was a cute little deer. He was a bit confused and liked to eat at the bird feeder.

deer at bird feeder

He really liked bird seed. Who knew?

deer eating seed

Well, not as much as the Easter Eggs that he gets to eat after the crazy humans use the sling shot to shoot the eggs back into the woods, but a deer can’t have Easter more than once a year. Sigh.

what are you staring at

“What are you staring at, Lady? I’m not afraid of you and that black thing you always have in front of your face…clicking away at me. Not nearly as scarey as those loud booming things those men with the orange hats carry around with them.”

I hear something

“Wait! I hear something….”

deer eating in backyard

“Nah, it wasn’t anything. I’ll go back to eating. But, Lady, hard boiled eggs would be good about now. Or remember the time the male humans shot the cinnamon rolls you overcooked out into the woods? Those were good too. We deer like variety, you know.”

young deer

“Oh, I did hear something. It was my little friend, the baby deer. Well, she doesn’t eat much. I’ll share.”

all the deer

“Oh. My. Gosh. (ding dang diddly!!) Where did all these deer come from?? I was here first!!”

Deer leaving

“Sigh. Fine, I’ll just leave then. They ate up all the good stuff. I’ll have to sneak back later after the lady’s husband fills up the feeder again. Those silly birds always dump a lot of seed on the ground when he first fills up the feeder.”

“Oh, and Lady? I still see you there with your clicky black thingie. Maybe you could stand up and scare away all those other deer?”

…and they all lived happily ever after when big male human put out a salt block and more bird seed. Luckily the lady once again ruined the cinnamon rolls so all the deer were very well fed after an afternoon of sling shot madness.

Debra Rector December 29, 2008 at 6:08 am

Oh dear! I place deer licks in our back yard near the woodline but none come close enough for me to photograph. Great shots!

Flea December 29, 2008 at 6:10 am

A good argument for being a bad cook, eh? Photo ops?

Michelle Willingham December 29, 2008 at 7:56 am

And now I know why you love Rudolph so much… :rofl:

Cathy December 29, 2008 at 7:59 am

Great pics. Thanks so much for sharing on a wintery Monday morning. And I had no idea other people donated their bad/overcooked/burnt food to nature, too!

Suzanne December 29, 2008 at 8:15 am

Cute story! Cute deer. I love deer!

We donate all our old/messed up food to the chickens.

Mental P Mama December 29, 2008 at 8:39 am

Too ciute. Wonder how many you’d get with a salt lick….?

Beckynsc December 29, 2008 at 8:46 am

Cute post, Kasey.
I wish the deer around here would come close enough for me to photograph.

Kate December 29, 2008 at 9:10 am

This is what our bird feeders used to look like before we moved here. It was a deer picnic area!
And I can’t believe they shot your burnt cinnamon buns into the woods. Those crazy males.

Okie Sister December 29, 2008 at 9:10 am

Makes me want to move out of the city.

Nancy in Atlanta December 29, 2008 at 9:32 am

Bird seed!!! Who woulda thunk it?! I thought the only thing you had to worry about was deer eating your garden! They sure aren’t timid about hanging around. Have a great New Year! :book:

Treasia/TruckersWife December 29, 2008 at 11:03 am

I wish I lived where the deer would come up into our yard again. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. Oh how I miss the wildlife.

Melissa Marsh December 29, 2008 at 11:43 am

Beautiful! We saw a bunch of deer on our way to and from home over Christmas. They’re such gentle, gorgeous creatures.

dlyn December 29, 2008 at 12:42 pm

ding dang diddly! I am glad I am not the only one with talking animals in my yard – I don’t feel so weird now.

Tori Lennox December 29, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I’m so jealous of your deer!!!

iPost December 29, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Hehe! Our deer don’t venture far enough out of the woods to eat at our feeder. We do, however, have a rambunctious buck that is determined to rub our cypress tree to smithereens! :biteme:

Deb December 29, 2008 at 5:00 pm

They weren’t camera shy at all, where they? Great shots! You are very lucky that they are so trusting. How about putting some apples and carrots for them?

Amy A December 29, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Holey Tamoley! You have deer.

That is soooo cool.

Gayle December 29, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Wow, I hope the hunters don’t find out about your place. They’ll be perched out in the woods behind your house!

Moms At Work December 30, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Wow! We don’t get a lot of that in our tropical swamp backyard this time of year. But those photos sure make me miss growing up in rural West Virginia.