They Grow Up

by Kay~Kacey on 1/5/2009

Yes, they grow up and they run away move out. The Geeky One moved out last week. “No, I’m doing fine,” she lied.

I went from a house full of boy noise to an empty nest.

He bought a cute little house not far from here. That part is good. He’ll still probably drop by often, right??

new house

In a great twist of fate…the two days it took to move him in…the weather here hit 60 degrees and full sun. Nice.

boxes in garage

We carried boxes and stuff. Unloaded stuff. Climbed a bazillion stairs. All the boys were in town, so there was lots of beer help. Soon the garage was filled up with boxes to be broken down and taken to the recycling center. (not my job!) The kitchen was all sorted away. Isn’t it cute?

new kitchen

I think The Geeky One knows how to cook…

But The Geeky One’s favorite room in the house?? The Man Room. Yes, some of you would call it a basement. But we call it The Man Room.

The Man Room

A big screen TV. Video games. Betsy (his computer… :wink: I told you we had a thing about naming our computers!). Really, what more could a man want from a Man Room?

Man Chair

Well, a Man Chair, of course! Can I just say, this Man Chair is SO comfortable that I considered becoming a man so I could have one of my own! It’s a recliner that’s like 1 1/2 times as wide as a regular recliner. It slides forward as it reclines to you can have it flat up against a wall…or a pole in this case. I lust after this Man Chair. It is so cool.

Anyway, I’m doing FINE. No really. . . It’s a good thing when our kids spread their wings and move out into the real world. It is. Honest. Truly. Sigh. I’m okay with an empty nest. I’m fine…

Kate January 5, 2009 at 5:08 am

Ohhhhh – I want a man chair!!!!! :love:

Empty nest – Heard of those. Some of us just replace them as they leave tho. :wallbash:
Kate

Fi January 5, 2009 at 6:07 am

The day is looming :( I still have two living at home…

In February, all my four children will be holidaying with their father out of the country for three weeks… although one will be staying away for a year… and I just try not to think about it – it is going to feel so strange!

Kate January 5, 2009 at 6:28 am

Nice digs for your son. Also good that it’s so nearby. But that chair . . . I love that chair!

Amy January 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

I have a chair and a half with a matching ottoman. We fight over it in this house!

I empathize with you. My son is home for another week before returning to school, and I just want to savor every moment. They always have to move on …

Mental P Mama January 5, 2009 at 8:26 am

How cute is that house??? I am so proud of him! And I like to look at a man chair in someone else’s house;)

Jacque Ruch January 5, 2009 at 8:44 am

Very nice house! good for him…I’ll be consulting you when my empty nesting begins in 2 years… :sad:

TSannie January 5, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’d really miss my kids….if they’d ever leave…(sigh)

Becky January 5, 2009 at 9:19 am

They go. They come. Bring more with them. They go. They move out of state.
It’s a vicious cycle. Teasing me. Torturing me.
My youngest is still home and at the age where Mom is not cool. I hate that.

Tug January 5, 2009 at 9:47 am

What a nice house! They may move away, but they always need their mamas.

This Eclectic Life January 5, 2009 at 9:47 am

Liar, liar–pants on fire.

You’ll do fine, and it WILL get better, but it’s OK to not be doing fine at the moment. Watching them grow up is so hard. Take comfort that he doesn’t live to far away. Hey, maybe he doesn’t know how to cook and will come back to eat?

I seriously lust for that “man chair!”

Deb January 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

yes, they move out. no, they often come home, sadly. he has great taste in furniture!

Gayle January 5, 2009 at 11:23 am

Oh, Kacey, hugs to you.

iPost January 5, 2009 at 11:50 am

Fun! Congrats to him! Not so fun for mama, but at least he is still close!

Amy A January 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

:rofl:

Suzanne January 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm

That’s a cute house! And it’s wonderful that he isn’t far away.

Kelly Boyce January 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Ooohhhhh… I so want a MAN CHAIR!!

:shock:

Melissa Marsh January 5, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I LOVE that house! Very nice.

margie January 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm

my dream!! you are living my dream of being an empty nester. i think the more children you have the easier it is to adjust.

Nancy in Atlanta January 5, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Only had one child – she went to college, moved back in with me, then I moved away to MD!! In the meantime, she moved away the other direction – Cayman Islands. Hmpf. Finally we were both back in ATL, and now she’s moved away to Iowa! Thank God for email, phones, Facebook, and her Loessismore blog! You’ll be fine as long as you have visiting rights to that wonderful Man Chair – I want one!!! :typing:

mary January 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm

“The Man Room” — I love it! Best of luck to him in his new house! I’m sure he’ll come home often for meals and laundry, right? :)
xoxo,
Mary

Spread Your Wings February 4, 2009 at 11:13 am

It’s so nice that he is close by. I’m sure he’ll be stopping by for mom’s cooking every once in a while.
My daughter just recently asked me to come up to Athens to look at a house she and 3 other girls want to rent for next Fall. Wow how fast the times change.