Photo Flipbook

by Kay~Kacey on 1/8/2009

I’m always looking for other ways to show my photos. You know, besides having them just sitting on here on my computer! :crazy2: So for the holidays this year I had flipbooks made for all the boys and SuperGuy. From our wedding through this summer.

Snapfish flipbook

I got the 4 x 6 size, though I wish I had gotten the 5 x 7 size.

flipbook plastic cover

They come with a plastic protective coversheet on the front and back.

spiral bound

They are spiral bound and the pages turn smoothly.

snapfish flipbook

They were a big hit in the stockings. If you’re looking for a less expensive way to share photos with family members you might like to try these Flipbooks from Snapfish. You have a choice of backgrounds for your photos. At this time the 4 x 6 books are $4.99 for five pages, additional pages are 5 for 99 cents. Additional copies of the same book are 25% off. The 5×7 books are $6.99 and additional pages are 5 for $2.99.

The photos are printed in landscape mode..so if you send a portrait oriented photo, it’s going to be small, because they’ll still print it landscape. The photos weren’t the full 4×6 size…more like 3 x 4.5 since they had captions under the photos and a background border around them. That’s why I wish I had gone with the larger 5×7 size.

You upload your photos to the site, fix the order you want them, add captions if you want, and you’re all set. The pictures are then uploaded if you want to use them for other items such as calendars, cards, or mugs.

While eventually I’d like to find a good hardbound solution like through mpix or blurb, or another service, for now these were priced right for what I wanted and the boys really enjoyed them.

I’m determined to print more of my photos this year–framed pictures, wall hangings, photobooks or other products! Have you made any flipbooks, softcover, or hard cover books with your photography? Do tell! If you’ve done a review on it on your blog, please link to it in the comments!

Flea January 8, 2009 at 7:58 am

Thank you for the view of the albums! I’ve uploaded albums more than once to a couple of sites but have never gone through with it. Good to hear from a real person – and see it – that they’re a good investment. I’ve been scanning in photos and next Christmas they’ll be the perfect gift! Thanks!

midwestmom January 8, 2009 at 8:38 am

I got a photobook from Snapfish this year too. It was from the Oprah free giveaway so it was the 8×10 size. I love it and hope to order more of them. But it took me FOREVER to make! It’s so hard to dig through hundreds & hundreds of photos on the computer and pick just a few. What a great idea to give all of your boys one.

Gayle January 8, 2009 at 10:05 am

That’s a great idea Kacey. I am horrible about not getting my photos printed. They all just sit in my computer. I really want to change that this year!

Deb January 8, 2009 at 10:09 am

I’ve done the same as Flea…tried it but never bought. I guess I am a scrapbooker so I feel as though I have to actually use all of my supplies and stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Marsh January 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

What a great idea! I am trying to print more photos, too, instead of just leaving them on the hard-drive. :-)

Katharina January 8, 2009 at 11:02 am

Blurb makes lovely books and reasonably priced. My photo/artist friend has made dozens of them. I am working on one of my husband’s life.

Rene January 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Oh, those are great. I might keep that in mind for a coach’s gift.

mary January 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I love your photo flip book, Kacey! What a neat gift idea. I have made two books on blurb. They are fun to make, and could be much more elaborate — layout-wise — if I had the time and talent. I pretty much just used one pic per page, much like your flip book. Here is a post I wrote about one of the books:

xoxo,
Mary

Suzanne January 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Those are so neat!

Becky January 8, 2009 at 3:10 pm

What a great idea!
I’m gonna start working on this for next Christmas.
Thanks, Kasey!

Kate January 8, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I’ve used Kodak, Blurb and Shutterfly. Forget Kodak (sorry). Blurb was fine and I did a book with a hardcover for a gift this Christmas for my in-laws. Everyone liked it. However, I’ve made several books with Shutterfly and I love their program. I’d recommend it over all the rest. There are so many page layout and background choices! This Christmas, I gave a book of portraits taken at my niece’s graduation party last June. I did the cover in a pink print and it was a huge hit at Christmas.
Shutterfly all the way, bay-bee!!

Kacey January 9, 2009 at 8:44 am

I’ve looked at blurb before. I’ll have to check out shutterfly! thanks.

suzie July 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm

hi, this looks good. i’ve just done a softcover photobook frm snapfish, its good as well but i would prefer it hardcover.. can i ask if this flipbook hardcover?

Kacey July 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm

No, this is just a softcover.