Kacey’s Cabled Cowl

by Kay~Kacey on 1/10/2009

I know I said I’d post the pattern for my cabled cowl. I found my pattern notes, so here is the knitting pattern for Kacey’s Cabled Cowl.

kaceys cabled cowl

It measures about 4 3/4 inches high, and about 14-15″ around…but it’s very stretchy so it’s easy to get over your head and not too tight on your neck. I made mine with a dk weight yarn, Meriboo. That’s a Frog Tree yarn with merino and bamboo. Very, very soft. Slight sheen to it. Hasn’t pilled any and I’ve worn this cowl a ton. I used less than one skein. One skein was 120 yards. I used a US size 6 needle. This is a stretchy pattern so exact gauge doesn’t matter as much. The Frog Tree website says 5.75 st per inch on a US 5 or 6 needle as suggested gauge. My gauge was a bit looser than that, say about 5.25 stitches per inch in straight knitting. The pattern is a repeat of 12 stitches so add or subtract by that number to adjust the size.

Kacey’s Cabled Cowl Pattern

Cast on 84 stitches.
Place marker, Join in round
row 1 (p2, k4) 14 times
row 2-5 repeat row 1
row 6: (p2, cf4, p2, k4) 7 times
Repeat row 1-6 four more times. (total of 30 rows)
Repeat row 1 four times. (total of 34 rows)
Bind off loosely.

cable closeup

Chatty version of Kacey’s Cabled Cowl:

Cast on 84 stitches. Use a stretchy cast on. I used the twisted german caston. Try it, it’s easy once you get the hang of it. Sit in front of the computer and follow the photos the first time you try it.

Place marker. Join in the round.

Row 1: (p2,k4) all around the 84 stitches. (That’s p2, k4, p2, k4, p2, k4, etc until you reach the end of the round–the marker.)

Repeat row one 4 more times for a total of 5 rows.

On the sixth round: (p2, cf4, p2, k4) repeat 7 times, (All around the 84 stitches. So you’re only cabling every other set of the knit 4 stitches. To cable forward slip the first two stitches to a cable needle, hold the cable needle to the front, knit the next two stitches, then knit the two stitches from the cable needle. It’s easy, trust me.)

Repeat these 6 rounds 5 times for a total of 30 rows.

(p2, k4) around for 4 more rounds. You’ll have a total of 34 rows.

Bind off loosely.

If you want a looser pattern, add stitches in multiples of 12. If you want a higher/longer cowl add another 6 or 12 rows.

kaceys cabled cowl

Enjoy!

Tess Harrison January 10, 2009 at 7:22 am

Nice job, Kacey! It looks great I love cables even though I can’t do them yet.

iPost January 10, 2009 at 8:01 am

Pretty…but all of those directions…Greek to me! :crazy2:

Mental P Mama January 10, 2009 at 9:41 am

Beautiful. I’d like mine in a midnight navy. Thanks;)

Deb January 10, 2009 at 12:29 pm

So it is an old time dickey, but a thousand times lovelier! Sadly, I have never knitted in my life…I can crochet, but the whole scheme of having two hands working in concert just are beyond my abilities!
How about having a give a way and the winner gets one in her choice of color? I would like a neutral beige, please!
And…ahh… I have that same necklace but cannot find it at the moment…I’m going to look now!

Kate January 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I loved this the first time you showed it to us and I still do. Unfortunately, I can only knit. That’s k, I think. I cannot pearl, which I see is p. I do know what a row is. And I can count to ever so much more than a hundred. Don’t know what a marker is. So I am an idiot when it comes to directions. I can cast on, though! But only in the english version.
What would you charge to make one? I’d like mine in a pale gray . . .

Suzanne January 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm

That is so pretty! I wanna learn to knit. Soon. You should post all your knitting patterns you’ve created and do a little section for it!

Debra January 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Me thinks you need to start an Etsy shop and sell these, Kacey. Like many other commenters, I can’t knit. I don’t crochet, quilt, sew or anything crafty. All I have is my photography and scrapbooking. This looks soft and warm…perfect for days when a heavy jacket is too much. All you need is a little warmth on your neck, and scarfs just don’t cut it. Truly lovely!

Gayle January 10, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Wow! That is so pretty. I love that it’s worked in rounds. I do not like seaming!

Connie January 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Very very nice and your hair looks great. The cowl accents the length of your hair nicely.