On the road again

by Kay~Kacey on 1/11/2009

Really, we’re on the road again. I know, I’m a bit tired of traveling myself. We’re headed to Houston for a wedding. My best friend’s son is getting married. He grew up with The Photography One. They were just babies yesterday. Really.

Anyway, we took back roads to Houston. An interesting experience. Missouri was okay…but then there was Arkansas…

Walmart trucks

There were Walmart trucks everywhere! We happened to be on the road that goes by Benton, Arkansas…Walmart headquarters. There were Walmart trucks in front of us…

sams truck

There were Walmart trucks wizzing past us. As an aside…Dear Arkansas…repave your roads. Thank you. Love, Kacey.

foggy texas roads

Then we got to Texas. Foggy, foggy Texas. But at least the roads weren’t shaking my teeth out. The fog lasted for hours and hours though. Would have been pretty if we didn’t have to drive through it.

f m texas roads

Then there was Texas’s weird habit of abbreviations on their road signs. I. H. Okay, we figured that out…Interstate Highway :crazy2: C.R. (county road?). But the F. M. on all the road signs?? We came up with lots of, um, very creative ideas…but never did figure it out. Can any Texans out there help us out??

Houston Skyline

The fog finally cleared out and we hit the city limits of Houston. Lots of highways in Houston. I’d like to have that cement contract…

Anyway, we’re headed back out after the wedding…where are we headed? Well, you’ll just have to check back in and find out. Okay, and part of it is we know where we’re headed, but we’re kind of wandering out way there. If you don’t see a post one day this week, it means I couldn’t grab an internet connection.

Ann from Montana January 11, 2009 at 8:36 am

I’m not from TX, but travelled through this time last year and also wondered about the F.M. – “Farm to Market” is what I was told.

…and it was foggy, damp and cold. As far as I’m concerned there is nothing colder than foggy-damp. I live in Northwest MT – I KNOW cold!

Have a good trip and some Tex-Mex!

Kate January 11, 2009 at 9:21 am

On the road again . . . sorry but now I can’t get that song out of my head.
Have a great time at the wedding! Love that last pic, Kacey.

Okie Sister January 11, 2009 at 9:28 am

Ah, Houston, just as I remember it…concrete.

iPost January 11, 2009 at 10:34 am

Okay…through my intensive research i think F.M. means “Farm to Market” road. You can check out the article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm-to-market_road :idea:

Amy January 11, 2009 at 10:52 am

I’ve only seen Houston from the air. A good friend recently moved there, and it takes her 1.5 hours each way to commute to and from work. No thank you!

Can’t wait to learn where you’re heading!

Suzanne January 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Yep! Farm to Market is what FM stands for! Until I moved away from there I didn’t realize everyone didn’t do that!

Tori Lennox January 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Actually, Walmart is based in BentonVILLE which is different from just plain Benton.

As for Arkansas’ roads, they are constantly doing roadwork. It’s never-ending. :roll: Whenever they talk about any particular project on the news, we all look at each other and say “Which will be completed on the 12th of Never”. *g*

Mental P Mama January 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Now I have The Magical Mystery Tour in my head. What is it about this site that does that to me???? :wtf:

Suzette January 12, 2009 at 9:27 am

The part of Texas where I grew up really doesn’t have any farms…or markets, that I’m aware of. Just rocks. Yet, the little roads were always called “farm to market” roads. I never questioned the designation, but when I grew up and moved to other parts of the country, people thought I was “quaint” when I would use the term, “farm to market.”

Just a little Texas detail I take for granted…and sorta miss. :)

TSannie January 13, 2009 at 9:04 am

Road trip! What fun you’ll have! looking forward to your updates.

Sandra January 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm

We just returned from a two-week road trip that included driving from Atlanta to Tulsa, through Arkansas. I remember alot of Wal-Mart trucks too, but I didn’t remember the roads being that bad! Hmmm. Hubby does most of the driving, so I guess I must have slept through the bad roads. :smile: