Empty Nest

by Kay~Kacey on 1/22/2009

Sigh. It didn’t help to come home to the whole empty nest thing. I don’t think it was very considerate for The Geeky One to run away from home move out and leave me to come home to this empty nest thing.

I’m a big baby. It took me two days before I could go downstairs and look at his room. (he had a big room in the basement.)

empty nest

Sigh. It’s so bare. Well, almost bare.

desk area

I guess his phone call that he got “almost everything” moved out was a generous description of “everything.” :roll:

thumb tacks

But then, he’s a generous child. See? He left me thumbtacks on his walls. You know, in case I need them… :coffee2:

fishing photo

But see what I found in the “almost everything” clutter he left behind? This adorable photo of him when he has a boy. I think I’ll steal it from him keep it for him.

I know it’s good that we launch our kids into the world. I know this. I’m proud of him. He’s not far away. I’m sure I’ll do fine once I get used to the quiet. Once I stop opening the door to the basement to tell him something. Once we learn to cook smaller meals for just the two of us. Once SuperGuy quits stocking up on cereal.

But right now? I miss him… I miss all five of them.

Fi January 22, 2009 at 5:21 am

I have four… two have gone.. the day looms ever closer.
Glad you had a good trip :)

WillThink4Wine January 22, 2009 at 7:07 am

Leaving the thumbtacks was very thoughtful of him. I think I only have 2 left myself.

Amy January 22, 2009 at 7:46 am

I share your pain, Kacey! It took me FIVE years to finally clean out my older son’s room. My other son then painted it, and I had it re-carpeted. The only think in there now is my yoga mat. Sometimes I lie on it and think about all the books we read together in that space, as well as the tears my little boy shed there after his dad died. It’s somewhat of a scared spot for me that I don’t want to furnish just yet.

Amy January 22, 2009 at 7:46 am

I meant a “sacred” spot. Oops!

dlyn January 22, 2009 at 7:53 am

You could do what we did – move to a new house 2 months after the youngest moves out! We still have some of their junk though :)

Gayle January 22, 2009 at 8:09 am

Oh, Kacey, make sure you get lots of hugs from SuperGuy.

TSannie January 22, 2009 at 8:48 am

Such bittersweet moments we moms have to go through. Thinking of ya, Kacey.

Mental P Mama January 22, 2009 at 9:00 am

Ii am all kinds of sad for you. And me;)

superguy January 22, 2009 at 11:40 am

you even got to me with this one. (and thanks to all of you that voted for my rose pictures).

Tori Lennox January 22, 2009 at 11:49 am

I love The Geeky One’s desk set-up in his old room! And leaving the thumbtacks was very thoughtful!

Shirley January 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Seems to me the best testament to good parenting is when the baby birds fly away from the nest and are on their own.

Sounds like you’ve done a great job.

Deb January 22, 2009 at 2:36 pm

It’s not easy when your babies move away. This whole cycle allows them to move away, then come back. When they come back (which is on their own), it is such an incredible feeling. And when one of your kids looks you in the eyes and says, “You’re a good Mom”, you will beam for days.

I left you an award over on my blog!

Kate January 22, 2009 at 6:19 pm

It’s funny because today while driving away from school, I saw a mom picking up her 6th grader from after school help class. And I remembered doing the same thing with my youngest. Meeting him outside at 4:00 and then driving home and chatting about his day. And I thought, would I relive those days?

I didn’t have to think for a second before I realized the answer was yes. I’d relive having my sons young again.

I know how you feel. Sometimes I miss mine so much.

Kacey January 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Thanks, I don’t mind if I do have a glass of wine…

ELK February 4, 2009 at 7:20 am

hopped over from SS ~ touching photos of a milestone! never quite take it ALL do they!

renee @ FIMBY February 4, 2009 at 8:10 am

an empty nest… so sad. I’m still have three young ones at home but I know that day will come. Thanks for sharing.

Spread Your Wings February 4, 2009 at 11:08 am

i can SO relate. i also have an empty nest. my only one went off to college this year. we started a blog together the day she left. i miss her, but it does get easier as they all told me it would.

margie February 5, 2009 at 8:27 am

we are closing in on this day as well. it will be good. saddish but good.