New Dorm Room

by Kay~Kacey on 1/24/2009

First a little bit of a rant. Mizzou had record enrollment this year. Okay, so what do they do??? They CLOSE one of their dorms for renovation…in the middle of the year. 400? freshman are thrown from their rooms and scattered across campus to new rooms. Now, I realize it was some kind of financial/future planning decision…but really not great for these kids who were just getting adjusted to college life.

Well, yes, now that you ask…The Impish One was one of these kids thrown out of his dorm. They didn’t know where they would end up until they got an email in the middle of Christmas break. The Impish One was assured he’d still be with his roommate though.

new dorm room

You know where this is headed, right??

dorm desk

They split up The Impish One and his roommate. :roll: He’s in “off campus on campus housing”. :crazy2: Which means Mizzou leased out some apartments but considers it on campus…but you take a bus to campus. :wallbash: These are 4 bedroom apartments with a living room/kitchen. Oh, and did I mention, as an added bonus they were more $$$ than the on campus dorm they closed. Special.

dorm pantry

He doesn’t know his new roommates from Adam. Well, yes, this IS his pantry. On the top shelf of his closet. He’s seen his new roommates about twice so far. Wonderful.

dorm view

Might I also mention? His old roommate has an empty room in his new place. (he’s also now in the “off campus on campus” housing.) But the university won’t let The Impish One move into the empty room. “Because no one can move until after January 29. It’s a rule.”

Then they told my son…they might move someone ELSE into that vacant room in his old roommate’s apartment. You know, instead of moving The Impish One in there…WITH HIS ROOMMATE. Who he was assured he’d get to live with.

There are times when I’m totally sure that the left hand of the university has no idea of what the right hand is doing. While I know that these kids are “older” now, it still is their first time living away from home. How about making things a little easier on them, with not so many adjustments? Like, um, kicking them out of their dorms after first semester.

Well, The Impish One will survive, even if he’s not happy. He might still have a chance…you know, 3 weeks into the new semester, to move YET AGAIN. If they don’t give away the empty room in his old roommate’s apartment.

Rant over. I think.

(sorry about the lousy quality of the photos. Wrong lens for the job and onboard flash)

Kate January 24, 2009 at 8:03 am

Seems pretty ridiculous to me, too. I love when the reason is “because it’s the rules”. It’s something you’d tell a child. I’d be ranting, as well.
He looks like he’s taking it ok. A good life lesson anyway that teaches him how stupid people can be sometimes. But how completely ridiculous that the roommate has an empty bedroom in his apartment!

iPost January 24, 2009 at 8:09 am

Well, that sucks! It is difficult to get to know a new group of roommates. He will do fine, though. I think boys adjust better to those situations than girls. Well, I say that because I am a girl and I know I would freak! Keep us updated!

Mental P Mama January 24, 2009 at 8:21 am

Unbelievable. But I am loving that pantry area perched up in that closet. Hope it smoothes out soon. :wallbash:

Deb January 24, 2009 at 10:52 am

Has the university ever heard of “rules are made to be broken”? guess not…love the pantry, too!

Nancy in Atlanta January 24, 2009 at 11:07 am

OMG – takes me back almost 20 yrs to my daughter’s experiences with on campus/off campus/apts rented as dorms by college and sublet to parents for more $$ in Savannah! AND the moves! Good luck! She survived, so will the Impish One, but it was not pretty!

Gayle January 24, 2009 at 11:47 am

That really stinks. In your last photo of Impish One he looks so young. Not old enough to be out on his own. I’m not looking forward to my kids going off into the world. How do moms handle it?!

Tori Lennox January 24, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I would so be wanting to kick somebody in the seat of their pants!

Treasia/TruckersWife January 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm

He looks to young for college. :sad: He will survive I’m sure. On the upside Kacey, with the new roommate he won’t starve for junk food. :rofl:

Dru January 24, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I also think the school should pick up the extra cost for the off campus apartment.

Amy A January 24, 2009 at 2:08 pm

WTF???

Sandra January 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Soooo frustrating. Your “smiley face” says it perfectly. :wallbash:

vodkamom January 24, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I just CAN’T believe it. Were these decisions made by a MAN?

poor kid.

Kacey January 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Honestly, it so makes no sense. Any of it. If any person with any sense at Mizzou would just take a look at the big picture, they’d see how ridiculous this whole thing is. From closing a dorm mid year–in a record enrollment year–to the whole “we screwed up and split you with your roommate but you can’t move into the empty room he has.”

Ah, big Universities. A fairly decent education for the money you pay–though a good amount of classes and labs are taught by non English speaking teaching assistants… :roll: But you do have to put up with silly stuff like this dorm move thing.

Leslie January 24, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Once again common sense flies out the window,

Chere January 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Of course you did not mention that you will need to go and help him move again. You are so right about the left not knowing what the right hand is doing. Just enjoy it. This part of their life will be over so soon. You guys will laugh about it one day.

Flea January 25, 2009 at 4:14 am

Your boy doesn’t look old enough for college. Did he graduate high school at 15?

annbb June 30, 2009 at 9:45 am

I missed this – where the heck was I? Did IO ever get to move back with the original roommate??