Yet Another End of an Era

by Kay~Kacey on 3/9/2009

Sometimes things move just a bit too fast for me these days. So many changes in what seems like such a short time. This empty nest thing isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I have a love/hate relationship going with it most of the time.

We decided it was time to get rid of the boys’ bunkbed. Yes, I know. They’ve been way too big for it for years.

Bunk Bed Pieces

It’s one of those metal bunkbeds with a twin on top, and a full size mattress on the bottom. Of course, now that the boys are over six feet tall…when they sit up on the bottom bed they bang their heads. Oops! So, it really was time to get rid of it.

SuperGuy has a young mom who works for him who has a passel of little boys. It would be perfect for her, of course. So we’re giving it to her. So we finally broke the bed apart.

mattressThe parts and pieces are scattered around my family room and hallway, soon to be taken away and used by another rowdy group of boys. Fighting over who gets the top bunk. Making forts out of it. Whispering to each other after the lights are out and they’re supposed to be going to sleep. Yes, I’m having a bit of a hard time with it, why do you ask??

bedframe

Well, I guess it’s time to make the bedroom into a pretty guest room. . . Sigh.

Treasia/TruckersWife March 9, 2009 at 7:56 am

What a wonderful idea to give it to another mother with boys. It will be well loved and used. We decided recently that when Princess leaves home her room is staying the same. LOL. I don’t like going up the stairs anyway.

annbb/TSannie March 9, 2009 at 8:37 am

So bittersweet all these passages we must go through.

iPost March 9, 2009 at 10:30 am

Ahhh…if only I could get there. I know, I will be wishing the years back, but still! *sigh*

Mental P Mama March 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm

This makes me want to cry. A whole bunch.

Donalyn March 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm

It’s a terrible cliche, but true nonetheless – seeing them make their way eases the sadness. Grandchildren erase it!

Kate March 9, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Donalyn’s right. And what better place for that bed to go than to a family with a houseful of boys!
Yes, you really are having a difficult time of it now that the last one is gone, aren’t you? I guess I had some adjusting to do, too. And I miss it sometimes. I think we all do, those of us whose children have grown and moved on. So you’re among knowing friends, here.

This Eclectic Life March 11, 2009 at 7:20 am

Life passages are tough, but you still have the boys…they are just men now. I’d love to tell you it will get easier…but I’d be lying…wouldn’t I?