The Little Lilac Bush that Could

by Kay~Kacey on 3/10/2009

The little lilac bush in my backyard has been trying to blossom for about 8 years. But every year…no luck. I have high hopes for it this year. Of course, I have high hopes for it every year… :dance:

The lilac used to live back here by the gazebo.

old-lilac-spot

Here is where the lilac used to be. We had a slight tree removal incident… :mad2: and it had to be moved.

We moved the lilac up closer to the house. I know it’s hard to see here, what with all the brown and gray dreary winter backyard going on.

bare lilac bush in winter

Possibly you’ll remember it better like this from last summer:

indigo bunting at the feeder

But, like I said…I have high hopes for it this year. It’s beginning to bud. I’ll be sure to update you on it’s progress as the weather gets nicer.

lilac bud

Do you think it’s going to bloom for me this year??

Mental P Mama March 10, 2009 at 7:48 am

I had a grove of lilacs when I lives at the beach. I had to cut them back severely when I first moved in there, and it took a few years, but they came back with a vengeance. And they bloom on old wood. So do not over cut when they do! Good luck;)

annbb/TSannie March 10, 2009 at 8:22 am

I do believe I see bloomage-to-be in that last photo. Sure do hope so – lilacs are one of my very favorite parts of springtime.

Treasia/TruckersWife March 10, 2009 at 8:39 am

I do hope it blooms out for you. I would love to see the pics. To bad they don’t make a scratch and sniff monitor! Lilacs is one of my favorites.

mary March 10, 2009 at 9:29 am

I think MM is right — they bloom on old wood. Hopefully you will have a few blooms this year. Even one or two is wonderful because they smell divine…

Kate March 10, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I can’t believe this either, Kacey!! We have the same photo on our blog today! Of course, I had to go and texturize mine . . .
You said you transplanted it, right? It may take a couple of years for it to bloom again. But let’s have hope. This year could be the year!!
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
These are angels of hope. It was either this or the beer bottles of hope. I thought this was more appropriate.

Suzanne March 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Yes! It’s going to bloom this year! this is going to be an Excellent spring!

Hannah March 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Kacey – I think lilacs take years to bloom after planting – like 16 years or something like that. I read that someplace when I used to have a lilac bush in my yard. And I think being transplanted might feel like “planting” to the lilac bush.

Deb March 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm

The only thing I miss about living up North is the lilac bushes. Every Mother’s day as a child, I would walk in the alley behind our home and pick lilacs for my mother.

Deb March 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm

and I hope your lilac bush blooms its little heart out.

Sandra March 11, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Oh, I hope it does. I LOVE lilacs. We had a huge lilac bush at the farm that was just loaded with blooms just as it was warming up every year. I would cute them and put them in vases everywhere in the house for as long as there were blooms.

Here, we planted a miniature lilac right next to the sidewalk to the front door, and it does a great job of giving the scent and look, just not the big, beautiful blooms I was used to.