Dumb Darn Deer

by Kay~Kacey on 4/3/2009

Dumb Darn Deer…say that 3 times fast…

So, The Geeky One planted a bunch of daffodils and tulips for me last year before he ran away from home moved out. Aren’t they pretty?? :love:

daffodil-protectors-4

I look out my the window of my office and see their bright sunny faces. But these daffodils are FIERCE. They are. Honest.

daffodil-protectors-1

They are protecting the tulips from the Dumb Darn Deer!

daffodil-protectors-2

As Mental Mama said in one of her comments “tulips are like deer crack.” No kidding!! The deer seem to think it’s fine to snack on my pretty tulips. These poor tulips were not lucky enough to be planted under the daffodils’ protection!

daffodil-protectors-3

But for some reason, these tulips surrounded by the daffodils? The deer are leaving them alone! I told you these daffodils are strong, fierce protectors. They even manage to survive the snow.

I know, I know…I should check back out there tomorrow, right?? :crazy:

Mental P Mama April 3, 2009 at 9:50 am

Sorry. I hope i didn’t put the whammy on you. No tulip is safe from those naughty deer. I used to sprinkle Milorganite fertilizer around them. It scared them away because of the smell. It is made out of some kind of blood. Yup. Blood. Like I said, I buy my tulips at the grocery store;) The deer here have to dine elsewhere….

Treasia/TruckersWife April 3, 2009 at 11:20 am

Can’t wait to see them bloomed out. Not sure if this works or not but always heard the older people talk about placing human hair around plants the deer liked to eat. The scent scared them away I was told. They would go to the local beauty shops and salons and get the swept up hair for free. Might be worth a shot.

annbb April 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm

The deer leveled my crocus. Leveled!

Karen B April 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

7-8 years ago I planted about 100 tulips in the back yard. 3 bloomed – :cursin: rabbits ate all the rest.

Mango Girl April 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Can we special order tulips with thorns? I.m with Mental P Mama.

Suzanne April 3, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I’m glad you still have some of your tulips. (Do you?)

Flea April 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Seriously? Your daffodils double as knights in shining armor? Cool!

Amy A April 4, 2009 at 2:45 am

I have no suggestions on how to keep the deer away, but yay for daff’s and tuplis…Spring is coming!

mary April 4, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Well, I can tell you that coyote urine doesn’t work either. Neither does Irish Spring, or pinwheels… Just plant more daffodils and enjoy them. :)
xoxo,