by Kay~Kacey on 4/28/2009

Yes, it’s that time again. Time for submissions for the monthly Photo of the Month Contest! Yay!! Don’t forget, this month’s theme is Flowers! That should be a great one, shouldn’t it? Either use the contact link up in the menu bar to send me your entry (either the actual photo or a link to it), or you can leave a link to your entry here in the comments. This is going to be a fun contest, I can just feel it!

Anyways, so a brief confession here… I was getting a head start on the contest. I was sure I was going to win this month!

gardenia-bud-2-1

SuperGuy bought me this gardenia plant. I love and adore gardenias! Love their fragrance, love the shiny leaves on the plant. So in preparation for my post with the I’m-certain-it-will-be-gorgeous gardenia bloom, I took a photo of the bud. I always prepare in advance you know. I’m organized that way! :toofunny: Stop laughing!!!

Sigh. Poor little plant must have gotten a bit of a frost on it before SuperGuy rescued it and it came to my nice, sunny office…because this is how it looked just days later.

gardenia-1

All the buds dropped off too. SuperGuy is going to see if he can coax it back to health, but I sure won’t be having a gorgeous gardenia blossom to enter in this month’s Photo of the Month Contest!

iPost April 28, 2009 at 6:59 am

Oh no! I love gardenias too. There is noting like their scent. I hope he can rescue it. Let me see what I can wrangle up for the contest.

Barb - WillThink4Wine April 28, 2009 at 8:07 am

Gardenias don’t like direct sun, just bright light. And it likes very high humidity and highly acidic soil.

If it’s in your office, try putting a terra cotta dish under it to give it some extra humidity. First put a layer of small stones in the dish and then fill with water. Then set your gardenia pot on top of the dish. This is also the method I use for my orchids. It works beautifully.

Kacey April 28, 2009 at 8:23 am

Barb, thanks for the hints. We usually do okay with gardenias. This one must have gotten hit by frost before we got it I think. I’ll try the terra cotta dish and stones trick though, thanks! We certainly have the humidity here for it!!

Spread Your Wings April 28, 2009 at 9:17 am

oh i love gardenias too. it’s a beautiful plant and their scent is heavenly. I have mine close to the deck so I can smell them when I’m outside reading in the sun. so sorry the loss your buds.
I’m sure you’ll have a lot of other pretty blossoms for the contest.

Jan April 28, 2009 at 9:35 am

Gardenias are one of my favorites, too.

Treasia/TruckersWife April 28, 2009 at 11:16 am

Aww what a horrible shame. I hope SuperGuy can nurse it back to health. I just love the scent of them.

Trying to decide what photo to enter today. I took several the other evening and now it’s hard to decide.

Kate April 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Oh no!! I love gardenias. Their scent is heavenly. I’m sitting here at work smelling my lilacs. I brought some in yesterday.
Thanks for the reminder about the contest. I’ll remind my friends, too!

Cathy April 28, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Aw, I always count my buds before they bloom, too! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with nursing your gardenias back to health.

Lynda Dunham-Watkins April 29, 2009 at 10:15 am

My entry is on my blog. Will that work?

Kacey April 29, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Lynda, that works. I got it!

Spread Your Wings April 30, 2009 at 2:58 pm

i didn’t know where to enter the photo of month
here’s my entry

Michelle April 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm
Michelle April 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Just noticed that a title is required for this month’s submissions. Mine is “Lemon Blossom”.