by Kay~Kacey on 4/28/2009

Yes, it’s that time again. Time for submissions for the monthly Photo of the Month Contest! Yay!! Don’t forget, this month’s theme is Flowers! That should be a great one, shouldn’t it? Either use the contact link up in the menu bar to send me your entry (either the actual photo or a link to it), or you can leave a link to your entry here in the comments. This is going to be a fun contest, I can just feel it!

Anyways, so a brief confession here… I was getting a head start on the contest. I was sure I was going to win this month!

SuperGuy bought me this gardenia plant. I love and adore gardenias! Love their fragrance, love the shiny leaves on the plant. So in preparation for my post with the I’m-certain-it-will-be-gorgeous gardenia bloom, I took a photo of the bud. I always prepare in advance you know. I’m organized that way! :toofunny: Stop laughing!!!

Sigh. Poor little plant must have gotten a bit of a frost on it before SuperGuy rescued it and it came to my nice, sunny office…because this is how it looked just days later.

All the buds dropped off too. SuperGuy is going to see if he can coax it back to health, but I sure won’t be having a gorgeous gardenia blossom to enter in this month’s Photo of the Month Contest!

iPost April 28, 2009 at 6:59 am

Oh no! I love gardenias too. There is noting like their scent. I hope he can rescue it. Let me see what I can wrangle up for the contest.

Barb - WillThink4Wine April 28, 2009 at 8:07 am

Gardenias don’t like direct sun, just bright light. And it likes very high humidity and highly acidic soil.

If it’s in your office, try putting a terra cotta dish under it to give it some extra humidity. First put a layer of small stones in the dish and then fill with water. Then set your gardenia pot on top of the dish. This is also the method I use for my orchids. It works beautifully.

Kacey April 28, 2009 at 8:23 am

Barb, thanks for the hints. We usually do okay with gardenias. This one must have gotten hit by frost before we got it I think. I’ll try the terra cotta dish and stones trick though, thanks! We certainly have the humidity here for it!!

Spread Your Wings April 28, 2009 at 9:17 am

oh i love gardenias too. it’s a beautiful plant and their scent is heavenly. I have mine close to the deck so I can smell them when I’m outside reading in the sun. so sorry the loss your buds.
I’m sure you’ll have a lot of other pretty blossoms for the contest.

Jan April 28, 2009 at 9:35 am

Gardenias are one of my favorites, too.

Treasia/TruckersWife April 28, 2009 at 11:16 am

Aww what a horrible shame. I hope SuperGuy can nurse it back to health. I just love the scent of them.

Trying to decide what photo to enter today. I took several the other evening and now it’s hard to decide.

Kate April 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Oh no!! I love gardenias. Their scent is heavenly. I’m sitting here at work smelling my lilacs. I brought some in yesterday.
Thanks for the reminder about the contest. I’ll remind my friends, too!

Cathy April 28, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Aw, I always count my buds before they bloom, too! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with nursing your gardenias back to health.

Lynda Dunham-Watkins April 29, 2009 at 10:15 am

My entry is on my blog. Will that work?

Kacey April 29, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Lynda, that works. I got it!

Spread Your Wings April 30, 2009 at 2:58 pm

i didn’t know where to enter the photo of month
here’s my entry

Michelle April 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm
Michelle April 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Just noticed that a title is required for this month’s submissions. Mine is “Lemon Blossom”.