Alium Splendor

by Kay~Kacey on 4/30/2009

I took this photo the other day to come here and make a post and ask you guys what this flower was. You know how I’m always asking you to identify flowers because I sometimes get them wrong.

alium-bud

This was out among the tulips the deer had attacked. I was hoping it was a flower that deer don’t like…

alium

But, before I got a chance to ask you, they opened up and SuperGuy said “Oh, look, the Alium that The Geeky One planted last fall has opened up.” So there I had it. :clap:

Really, what is not to love about this gorgeous flower?

alium-bokeh

Love the bokeh in this photo! I’m hoping the deer don’t like these flowers, or I’m going to be SO disappointed! They are just so lovely and right out my window!

Don’t forget! Today is the last day to send me a link to your Photo of the Month entry! The theme is FLOWERS. (I won’t have the contest up until next week…we’re getting ready to move SuperGuy’s mom, so we’ll be way busy the next 3 or 4 days! Wish us luck with the move!)

annbb April 30, 2009 at 8:19 am

One of my favorite flowers. Lovely photos, Kacey.

Deb April 30, 2009 at 8:24 am

Alium is such a weird name for such a beautiful flower. don’t ya think?

Treasia/TruckersWife April 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I’ve never heard of that kind. It is pretty though. I do hope the deer leave it alone for you to continue to enjoy it.

Jan April 30, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Good luck with the move. The only negative with Alium, to me, is it smells like garlic, instead of perfume.

Spread Your Wings April 30, 2009 at 2:46 pm

love this last photo – so much.

Tracey April 30, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Ack! I don’t know that I will have enough time to submit for this month! I have been so busy I am surprised I have time to breathe!

Love the flower!

Donalyn April 30, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I love a flower that looks just as gorgeous closed as it does open – beautiful!

Hope all goes well with the move!

Kate April 30, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Love this flower! Are you using it for the contest???

Tug April 30, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I love the bokeh, but also love how in the first pic you can see the ‘flower stem thingies’ (professional term I’m sure) under the fragile layer covering it.

I told my mom your daffodil near tulips to keep deer away trick…I think she may try it next year!

mary May 1, 2009 at 3:51 am

Beautiful photos, Kacey! The only time I tried to grow allium, it died from my water clogged clay soil. But I would suppose that it is related to chives, and the deer seem to leave those alone… good luck with it — it’s beautiful!
xoxo,
Mary

Lynda Dunham-Watkins May 1, 2009 at 5:28 am

That’s a beautiful shot of the flower! Luck on the move!