Pretty Purple Petunias

by Kay~Kacey on 5/2/2009

Pretty purple petunias…say that 3 times fast!!

purple-petunias-1

It’s that time of year. Time to put out the annuals!
shades of purple
“We” put out all shades of purple this year.
purple petunia
From delicate lilac colored petunias…

candy cane striped petunia
… to brilliantly colored candy cane striped petunias.

light purple petunia
and everything in between!

I love petunias. My grandmother always had them edging her driveway and in her flower pots along her front porch. I remember the brilliant displays and wonderful scent of those flowers. She’d plant them in every summer. We’d make homemade ice cream and play shuffle board and go downtown to the city park for Chuck Wagon Days. Sigh. What wonderful memories. All brought rushing back by my pretty purple petunias.

What flowers hold an emotion connection for you?

Mental P Mama May 2, 2009 at 7:11 am

I love purple and blue flowers! Do you pinch back all your petunias? It is so much work! But they are beautiful. I think I’m going to go with mostly ivy geraniums this year. Rumor has it the hummingbirds are mad for them;)

Kate May 2, 2009 at 7:20 am

My father was the gardener in the family. He loved cosmos, bit it’s lilacs that do it for me. I don’t know why because I have no memories of anything to do with them. It’s the scent that takes me back.
I love petunias. And I pinch them back, too.

mary May 2, 2009 at 8:02 am

My mom always lined the path to our door with portulaca. And daisies in the wild always remind me of her, too. We used to pick armloads from the fields around our house…

Love your petunias. Purples are my favorite, too. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Amy May 2, 2009 at 8:21 am

Those are lovely photos, Kacey! I love petunias, too!

staci May 2, 2009 at 9:00 am

My mother raised lilies, iris, and she had a big patch of “hen and chicks” on top of the cellar. All three still grow at the farm, just where she planted them. I’ve transplanted starts of them to my home.

My dad raised hollyhocks alongside the outbuildings. I have a picture of them in bloom even though they don’t grow there anymore.

I too love petunias – the red ones are my favorites!

Karen B May 2, 2009 at 9:20 am

My grandfather in PA had Morning Glories growing up the side of his brick garage, petunias planted along the side of the house and rose beds in the back yard. I’m not fond of roses but they were beautiful. I always plant petunias here in MN and think back to happy childhood memories when I smell them.

Tori Lennox May 2, 2009 at 10:41 am

I’m totally lusting after your pretty purple petunias!!!

Tracey May 2, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I love petunias too, especially the candy stripe ones. I won’t plant till mother’s day!

Lynda Dunham-Watkins May 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Daisies. I love their happy faces. They were my mom’s favorite and as I grow older (could say old) they are becoming mine, also.

spread your wings May 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

red geraniums remind me of my mom, as well as petunias. she always has petunias in hanging baskets and geraniums at the front door.