Just One

by Kay~Kacey on 5/5/2009

See this pretty little dogwood bloom?

one-dogwood-bloom

When I say that this dogwood tree is in bloom…I mean bloom…as in ONE BLOOM on the whole dang tree.

See?
one-dogwood-bloom-2

Well, look closely and find the arrow. It points to the one lonely bloom on the tree. SuperGuy and I were sure the tree had died this winter because our dogwood tree in the front of the house has bloomed, the blooms have dropped off and it’s fully leafed out. But this poor little guy in the woods behind the house? One bloom and the start of some leaves.

Well, at least it survived the winter!

In other news…we got SuperGuy’s mom all moved. Here is a public service announcement to anyone whose parents have lived in the same house for, oh say, 30 years or more. Make them get a dumpster and pitch crap, everything that has ever passed in their doors,  a lot of their stuff before trying to move them. We got a moving van that was supposed to hold a 4 bedroom house with appliances. She lived in a two bedroom house. We couldn’t fit it all on the truck…and we didn’t even move the appliances. It was exhausting and emotional. The mover burly dudes that SuperGuy hired from the temporary service never showed up!!! We got The Impish One and The Photography One and a friend to drive up to Moberly and help load up the moving van…for 7 hours. I can barely move. I’m walking like an old lady. And I’m cranky. And I called my parents–who have lived in the same house for over 50 years–and told them to rent a dumpster this summer and pitch crap stuff. Or give it away. I’m not doing this again. Of course I said that when we moved SuperGuy’s aunt last year

I am sympathetic to how hard it must be to move from a home that you’ve lived in for years. I am. SuperGuy’s mom is moving to live near his sister. That’s a good thing. I’m sure it will be an adjustment for her. Of course she’ll have all her things with her. Lots of things. Some things that I’m sure will never even get unpacked…

SuperGuy and I have vowed to clear out our house this summer. Get rid of stuff. Give or pitch. So if you’ve lived in your house forever, do your children a favor. Start pitching… If your parents have lived in the same house forever…gently suggest they get a dumpster for a week or so. Heck, my sister and I are thinking of giving my mom a week long dumpster rental for Mother’s Day. :love:

Yep, we’re good daughters like that… :toofunny:

CindyP May 5, 2009 at 7:11 am

Ha!! We moved my mom closer to me 3 years ago!!! There with you all the way!! All of us kids made the promise to start then destashing our own houses……

Mental P Mama May 5, 2009 at 7:24 am

That is the little dogwood that could….I think everyone should get a dumpster every few years. It makes a huge difference!

annbb/TSannie May 5, 2009 at 8:09 am

We still have my m-i-l’s house to do. I am dreading it. She’d already begun throwing things out, and there’s still a TON of things to go through (read throw out).
Aren’t you glad it’s over…for you (feeling sorry for myself now). :wft:

Staci May 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

I had the dubious honor of helping my nephew move a few years ago. After like the 50th plastic bucket full of old computer cords, etc. (he is a geeky one) I had to put my foot down. Not that it helped. He moved every one of those buckets to Houston. :()

Deb May 5, 2009 at 9:52 am

We did the whole purge thing a few years ago. Honestly, there are still things that need to go.
On the bright side, your single dogwood blossom is lovely.

Amanda Zika May 5, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I love the lonely little dogwood flower. Poor little guy just wants his friends to bloom. Great shots by the way :)

Shirley May 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I’ve only been in my houe about 10 years, and my children have already discussed clearing out some of my treasures. i just don’t know if I can part with anything. :)

Barb - WillThink4Wine May 5, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I moved both of my parents in with me about 3 years ago. Because my mother has every piece of clothing she ever bought, every piece of sea glass and sea shells, every jelly jar that can be used as a glass, well, you can imagine how crammed my house is at the moment. :wallbash:

We can’t even throw out my old towels that I replaced. My Dad is saving them to use as rags someday. :wallbash:

Kate May 5, 2009 at 5:54 pm

My parents lived in a retirement village in Florida for well over 10 years. When it was obvious that they needed to move and live with one of the children for care in the future, my little sister and her husband stepped up. Moving them, although it was a small house, was one of the most difficult and highly emotional things I have ever done. Our mother was a packrat. We hired a huge dumpster. And we wouldn’t let her look in it. They don’t need these things, but somehow we get attached to things because of the memories they hold.
I can totally understand. And there is no way you should have been doing that kind of heavy work, either. It’s too bad the burly people didn’t show up!

Angela Breckenridge May 5, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I love Dogwoods! And least it made it through the winter….I can’t grow a thing!

Jacque May 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I have a very young dogwood tree that hasn’t bloomed yet, but I am happy to see leaves, to know that it made it through another midwest winter! I cleaned out my gramma’s, my dad’s, and my brother’s house in the same year…believe me…I HEAR YOU!!!