First Indigo Bunting

by Kay~Kacey on 5/12/2009

Yes! It’s that time of year again. Time for Indigo Bunting Hunting!

finch-friends

I’ve been watching carefully. Staring out my window for hours on end. Keeping an eye on the bird feeder. I happened to glance up. My steady patience was rewarded. Ta-da! The first Indigo Bunting of the season!
first-indigo-bunting

Of course, right after this shot, my neighbor started up his lawn mower and the bird took flight… :wallbash:

I’ll have to keep trying and see if I can capture a full bird feeder of Indigo Buntings again this year! Ah, it’s all in the hunt. Kind of like antiquing for the perfect milk glass piece…

mary May 12, 2009 at 6:55 am

Wow, beautiful, Kacey! Do you know what the other birds are? Maybe a purple finch and a bluebird??? Anyway, they are all beautiful!

Congrats to your son on his graduation. You have such fine sons — you must be so proud!

And as for the matching crocs/sprayer — I would imagine SG would tell you that “dudes don’t do matching”…

Looking forward to your next milk glass discovery. :)

xoxo
Mary

annbb/TSannie May 12, 2009 at 7:03 am

What perfect photos! I forgot about last years feeder full of indigos – what a treat to be able to see that.
My indigo came back one more time and now I’ve not seen him in a week. I guess he’s moved on… :cry:

Tracey May 12, 2009 at 7:12 am

We have some nesting Mountain bluebirds this year. LOVE them. Oh, and I thought of you on Mother’s Day. We stopped in an antique store and I saw some really nice milk glass! :love:

Paula May 12, 2009 at 7:32 am

You are so lucky! In all my years of bird feeding/watching (7+), we’ve only had one Indigo Bunting stop by. I happened to be sitting at the table w/my camera near by since we had been snapping photos of the Painted Bunting. I snapped the photo and he flew off, never to be seen again!

You’re also lucky to get the Goldfinches in their yellow plumage. We have them in the winter, so they are dull. Occasionally, we’ll get one who’s fledged out early LOL.

I love your blog, your photos are great.

Kacey May 12, 2009 at 8:00 am

Oh Paula, we don’t have Painted Buntings here and they are so pretty! You’re lucky.

Yes, the reddish bird is a Purple Finch. (why do they call it purple when it’s obviously RED??) :crazy:

Starwoodgal May 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

Wow! What a pretty bird. I don’t believe we have those in Arkansas. Of course, I didn’t believe we would ever see a Baltimore Oriole in our yard, but he’s here. I posted a picture today – http://starwoodgal.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/identity-crisis/

Jan May 12, 2009 at 10:33 am

Great capture. I hope he poses for more photos. We don’t have them here, so I enjoyed your capture.

Spread Your Wings May 12, 2009 at 11:04 am

wow that’s a gorgeous bird. we don’t have those in our area – at least I’ve never seen one. great capture.

Kate May 12, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Great shot~ it’s beautiful Kacey.

Lynda Dunham-Watkins May 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm

They are so lovely! I enjoy your blog, so I tagged you. Visit my blog to check it out!