The things he does…

by Kay~Kacey on 7/20/2009

Seriously, the things SuperGuy does for blog fodder…

For instance…this weekend…

So my dh decides to go to the grocery store. We’re having The Geeky One over for dinner in exchange for him helping put up a new garage door opener. So SuperGuy went to go pick up chicken to cook that night.

I get a phone call like 20 minutes later from SuperGuy. “Call 911 ! Call 911! My calls won’t go through to them. My truck is on fire. I’m at such & such intersection.”

“Are you okay???” I’m calmly SCREAMING into the cell phone. Dead. So I call 911 give them the location. So I’m thinking, am *I* calling 911 because he’s trapped? In an accident? Can’t get out of his burning car?? I call The Geeky One who lives minutes from the intersection that SuperGuy said he was at. “Go, Go, SuperGuy’s car’s on fire. I’ll be there as quickly as I can!”

(As an aside, I’m buck naked at that point, just getting ready to step in the shower…¬† I throw on clothes, jump in the car, drive…fast.

I get there and see this: (taken with my iPhone)
burned up dodge ram truck

and I see THIS:

fire damage inside of truck

THEN I see this! :love:
fire survivor
Thank goodness!!

I’m thinking he feels a little bit foolish for being so upset about the peeling paint on his beloved truck a couple of weeks ago, don’t you?

Of course we JUST put $$$$ into a new a/c & radiator¬† for the truck, as well as new front and rear brake something or other $$. The only thing he saved from the fire was his loupes that he uses for his hospital cases. Which is nice…I think they were worth more than the truck, which is 10 years old. But it ran, doggoneit.

burned dodge ram truck

SuperGuy said he smelled gas. Stopped at a filling station to check it. Saw nothing. Pulled out and got about a block before he saw smoke, jumped out of the truck with the fire extinguisher (yes, only SuperGuy, Mr. Prepared, would have a fire extinguisher in his car…) and tried to put it out but it just burst into flames. The Geeky One said he could see the flames and smoke when he pulled onto the highway, so he knew exactly where SuperGuy was…

By the way, I know where there is a DEAD ZONE for AT&T!! Right where my dh’s truck burst into flames! He had to climb a hill to get the spotty service he got. Not sure what was up with 911 not picking up for him.

Anyway, that was way too much excitement for one day. I’m just so glad no one was hurt!

As an aside…because there always is one, right? The police officer said that was the worst vehicle fire he had ever seen…that wasn’t intentionally set. :rofl:

The Geeky One laughed at me and said “what kind of blogger are you that you didn’t even bring your camera???!! :wallbash:

. . . I told SuperGuy that wasn’t exactly what we were talking about when we said we wanted barbecued chicken…

I know on Saturday’s post I said I didn’t have a clue what Monday’s post would be about, but….don’t you think this was just a TINY bit excessive just for blog fodder??

tow away truck

Rest in peace, red truck, you were very good to us for 10 years, and thanks for letting SuperGuy get out before totally combusting!

KateS July 20, 2009 at 7:27 am

Did you cry when you saw him safe?????
I cried when -I- saw his safe and sound and not crispy picture! :oops:

stupid truck things – and thank goodness he was all right! Sometimes there be angels watching. :angel:

Dru July 20, 2009 at 7:41 am

I’m so glad that SuperGuy is okay. The best picture from today is seeing SuperGuy’s photo showing us that he is okay.

How are you doing?

Flea July 20, 2009 at 7:49 am

Oh my WORD. That certainly was a mother of a truck fire. One to tell the grandkids about someday. I’m betting Super Guy will have fun embellishing that story for years to come. :)

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage & Junkologie July 20, 2009 at 8:58 am

So glad he’s okay! I don’t know what I would have done in his situation! Are you able to take a deep breath yet?

Amy

Melissa Marsh July 20, 2009 at 10:01 am

HOLY COW. I’m so glad he’s ok! Wow.

Mental P Mama July 20, 2009 at 10:10 am

Holy Moly! I am so glad he is okay. That is scary. And today? I’m going to buy an extinguisher for my car. Yikes.

LauraP July 20, 2009 at 10:26 am

Hey, I have a fire extinguisher in my truck . . . I’ve carried them in every vehicle since college. Extra points to Super Guy for having one handy before the big scary vehicle fire . . . I had to learn that lesson the hard way. (College, car fire, lost most of my notes for the semester AND MY 35 mm CAMERA!)

And I am so glad Super Guy’s okay.

Tori Lennox July 20, 2009 at 10:44 am

Wow! That’s even worse than I imagined when I first heard about the fire. I’m so glad SuperGuy is okay!

Barb - WillThink4Wine July 20, 2009 at 11:11 am

Yay for SG getting out, and he doesn’t even look like he brojke a sweat!

Are you sure Red Truck can’t be fixed? :crazy:

Kacey July 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Well, *I’M* still recovering from the stress of the weekend. ‘Cause, you know, it’s all about me… ;) Had a lovely post stress headache that’s now easing off.

I need a vacation… :bath:

superguy July 20, 2009 at 1:52 pm

thank you one and all for your concerns. not to worry, i have corrected most of the problem but that, as they say, is another blog post. :D

Kate July 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm

What kind of blogger are you? The kind that has an iPhone readily available. Screw the digital camera. Your husband’s truck was on fire and you needed to get there!
This is amazing, Kacey. I am just so so glad that nobody was hurt.

Leslie July 20, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Whew!!!! What a weekend! Hopefully your week will be more peaceful on your nerves. Thankful hubby was not harmed.

annbb August 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Thank GOD only the truck was hurt! Life is good. (For the humans, not so much the truck or the chicken.) I’m so glad SG is fine, Kacey.