Simple Chores

by Kay~Kacey on 8/19/2009

So, my kitchen light has been driving me nuts. The balast in it is going out, so it would sometimes turn on…and more often than not…refuse to turn on. So, I asked SuperGuy if he’d replace the ballast in the light fixture. I mean I liked the light fixture well enough. A simple request, right?

I guess you can figure out where this is headed…ceiling-light-1746

Yep, SuperGuy dropped the light when he was taking it down. Broke the insert.

So we were left with this…

ceiling-light-broken

a frame, no insert…and, look, a cracked ceiling to boot. It seems that someone had stepped through the ceiling at sometime. (We have a garage attic that goes over this part of our kitchen). So, the little project, becomes a big project.

I find a new light fixture that I like.

ceiling-light-1749

But, of course, the ceiling needs to be repaired, and this fixture is smaller than the old one. So the ceiling needs to be painted. Yes, the whole ceiling, because that’s how SuperGuy does his projects… :crazy:

But now?? With a new shiny fixture, I’m not liking my other old fixtures. Not. At. All.

ceiling-lights-replacements

Definitely hate the fixture over the kitchen sink. Not to mention it has brass on it, and the new one is steel. The old ceiling light/fan over the kitchen table…which is not centered over the table so it drives me nuts anyway…it has to go too. I’d really like a cute teacup chandelier that we saw when we were out antiquing. Hm.

Ah, the joys of a simple chore… I’ll be sure to update with photos when we have all the new lighting up. SuperGuy is SO thrilled with all of this. :lol:

Barb - WillThink4Wine August 19, 2009 at 5:58 am

Home Ownership/ :mad2: Home Improvements should be called “Eternal Money Pit”, because repairs/upgrades never end. But who would want to change it?

Becky August 19, 2009 at 6:17 am

That is SO like something that happens around here. Fix one thing only to find it causes one or more repairs.

Mango Girl August 19, 2009 at 7:33 am

I am laughing with you…so are the credit card companies. I swear it is an eeeevil plot against homeowners!

Can’t wait to see the new stuff!

Dru August 19, 2009 at 8:29 am

Men! They sure love getting out their toys, oops, tools and having D-I-Y projects.

Sue August 19, 2009 at 10:59 am

Anychance Superguy has a twin brother? I think I married the twin!!!
Love the look of the new fixture…and dying to see it installed…my kitchen could use a new fixture…LOL :twisted:

Tori Lennox August 19, 2009 at 1:06 pm

It never fails. One thing ALWAYS leads to another, more complicated, thing.

Kate August 19, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Ugh! I hate it when this sort of thing happens.

superguy August 20, 2009 at 8:02 am

I thought that there would be a segue (segway/ segguey/ seguay/ …) to teacup chandeliers. Another post I suppose. :)