Full Moon Photo

by Kay~Kacey on 10/12/2009

As promised, my attempt at photographing the full moon. Not entirely pleased with my attempts, but I’ll try again next full moon.

full-moon-2499

I’d love to have a longer lens to try with this. For the technically inclined:

canon 5dmkii
70-200mm f4L lens at 200mm
exposure 1/125 at f/11

This was just one photo of dozens and dozens (lots and lots, tons and tons!) I took with various cameras, lenses and settings. Really liked Capricorn Cringe’s moon photo. I’m going to try to get some photos that have some background elements in it along with the moon.

Any tips on moon photography?

Tracey October 12, 2009 at 7:14 am

Nicely done.

Mental P Mama October 12, 2009 at 8:39 am

What is wrong with this? I LOVE it!

David October 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

I haven’t done any moon photography, but some friends of mine have. And one thing I’ve found out from them is a photo will actually show more detail if the moon is NOT full, but more like 3/4 full. For the same reason that a portrait looks better with side lighting, the angle of the light/shadows shows up the craters, etc. much more vividly and gives more of a sense of dimension. That said, I like your photo very much. Good job!

David October 12, 2009 at 9:05 am

Here’s an example shot by a friend of what I talked about in my last comment…

Sarah October 12, 2009 at 9:28 am

I’ve never taken good moon shots, I haven’t done a lot to try either, this would be a good challenge. I think you did GREAT! Beautiful shot!

Kacey October 12, 2009 at 9:30 am

David! Thanks for the link. See, I want those craters to show! If we get a clear sky (supposed to rain like all week), I’ll try with a not full moon.

Possum October 12, 2009 at 9:50 am

I think the photo is fantastic! And this is what the stars think….
“The Moon’s entry into dramatic Leo at 1:02 am EDT is a wakeup call that reminds us to go the extra mile and to show up in all our grandeur. It’s not about a fantasy of the future; we must wear all our bells and whistles now.”

Tori Lennox October 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I have never ever taken such an amazing shot of the moon!

Jeanne Klaver October 12, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Oh, this is gorgeous! It glows…

annbb October 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

Kacey, that is one incredibly beautiful photograph. I’ve never taken anything other than a blurry blob.

annbb October 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

did you hold the camera or was it on a tripod?

Kacey October 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Ann, funny you should ask that. I was just thinking about that this morning. I held the camera for this one, but next time I’m going to try the tripod!

Kate October 18, 2009 at 3:21 pm

You’re not pleased with this? What? Are you kidding?

SNAP OUT OF IT!

That was courtesy of Cher in Moonstruck.

Lena November 5, 2009 at 8:16 am