A Whole Lot of Work Left to Do

by Kay~Kacey on 11/23/2009

I’m having Thanksgiving at my house. We always have Thanksgiving here. It’s SuperGuy’s fault. He got my family addicted to his fried turkeys. The downside? I no longer rotate Thanksgiving between my sister, my mom, and our house.

This year I decided to make it even more stressful…My mom gave me my grandmother’s china. :love:

antique-noritake-china-2746

Why is that stressful, you may ask? Because it’s all boxed up and needs to be washed. Notice the headline on the newspaper. When is the last time you saw a Watergate headline??

antique-noritake-china-2762

Oh, when I said it needed to be washed? I meant hand washed. It is handpainted Noritake china. From what I can research, it was made somewhere between 1914 and 1940. (does my blog show the extra space between the one and the nine on your browser?? I can’t figure out why it’s doing that…) Anyway, I’m going to the library to do some more checking into it. My grandmother had twelve place settings. And when I say place settings I mean:

Dinner Plates, salad plates, dessert plates, small bowls, coffee cups, saucers, more bowls, covered serving bowl, serving bowl, creamer, sugar, platter…oh, heck, I’m sure I’m forgetting some of it. That’s a whole lot of hand washing going on…

antique-noritake-china-2761

The pattern is really pretty, and very antique-y and I love and adore it. (If you just happen to know this Noritake pattern, you could speak up now. The mark on the back is green, with the M (not the newer N that Noritake used in later years. It says handpainted and Japan under the wreath.)

Anyway, the best thing about this? My mother is taking MY china. You remember my china. The china I mentioned that I don’t like anymore?

antique-noritake-china-2766

Anyway, it will look fantastic in her dining room. It’s Noritake too.

antique-noritake-china-2763

But I have to box up all of my china. Wash the new china…and pull off Thanksgiving for everyone…

antique-noritake-china-2767

This is what my dining room looks like right now with my grandmother’s china unboxed, my china waiting to be boxed up…oh, and all the stuff that was in my garden window dumped onto my dining room table. Save me… :help:

Usually by the weekend before Thanksgiving I have the house cleaned. Pies made. Dining room all clean and set up and ready to go. Tell me I’m going to pull it off this year. That we’ll actually be able to have Thanksgiving in this room.

Did I mention I have a painter here this week too? Traipsing around doing doors and stairways??

Tell me it will all turn out. You can even lie to me if you want! Why do I do things like this…

It will be really, really cool to have Thanksgiving off of my grandmother’s china though. If I have it all hand washed by then…

superguy November 23, 2009 at 8:43 am

Thank you sweetie. I’ll clean the whole house tonight or tomorrow. And I’m off on Wednesday!! Life is good.

Mental P Mama November 23, 2009 at 8:43 am

Okay–all together now: GAH Now don’t you feel better? Love your new china! :woot:

Kacey November 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

And by “cleaning the whole house” SuperGuy means run the vacuum downstairs… :roll: But I DO appreciate the help!

Jeanne Klaver November 23, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I’d say you’re totally “living in the moment.” The china patterns are beautiful—both of them! WORDS OF WISDOM: Use your china; don’t wait…

Tori Lennox November 23, 2009 at 2:07 pm

The “new” china is gorgeous!!!

Marcia November 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I also inherited a pre-war set of Noritake, although not quite as much as you are getting! Mine has a black band. Try Replacements.com and search the Noritake patterns…that’s how I found out the name of mine, although I can’t think of it at the moment! I feel your pain with the handwashing….that’s why I don’t use it much!

Connie November 23, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I’m here to give you some words of encouragement. As one of the few remaining Americans that do not have a dishwasher, I know it can be done. First, have a nice strong cup of coffee. If you approach the job as a game, like wash all tea cups then all saucers, soup bowls, etc, the chore will be done before you know it. Oh and the china is beautiful, worth the work.

annbb November 24, 2009 at 9:57 am

If I don’t have a complete breakdown by Thanksgiving it will be a miracle! Of course, it’s at our home…always…no rotation here either. And we have a traditional, smoked (someone volunteered to do that this year, so nice!!), and deep fried one every year. 30 people. :help:

Your new china is just beautiful!

Kate November 24, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I know it will all come together. All of it. And nobody will know how stressful it was, because you are you.

Have a glorious Thanksgiving feast with your loved ones, Kacey.

Donna@dh-designs January 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Kacey, I came across your post on Noritake china while researching mine (actually I’m borrowing your picture of the china for a blogpost I’m doing :)). I also have my great-grandmother’s china, Noritake, no pattern number and it looks a whole lot like yours. Mine is packed away awaiting a proper display cabinet, but I’ve come to many dead ends trying to find out more about the pattern and it’s worth (for insurance purposes). Have you made any headway? PS, I hope both 2009’s and 2010’s Thanksgiving were wonderful!

Ed September 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Kacey:
I was surprised to see your china pattern. I’m looking at one that is I believe is the same one you showed. Have you had any luck in finding out what it is?
Thanks Ed

Rhonda Cooley April 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

I have a twelve piece setting of the Notitake China except dinner plates. I only have 5. I have the serving bowls, etc. It was given to me my an aunt in 1974 as a wedding gift. Once I checked with a Noritake dealer to learn it was $1000.00 a place setting. I have never used it since just keep it in a china cabinet. I would like to sell mine. It has the green M and says Japan. It is pre war. It is exactly like your pictures.

Robert April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

I also have a set of the older Noritake china. I have owned it for about 30 years. I also got it from my mother. It is almost a complete set except fot the tea cups. I am going to have it appraised soon. I will keep you updated.

Barbra January 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’d love to be in your shoes! Your Grandmother’s china? My Fraternal Grandmother was always too poor to have matching dishes let alone china. My Maternal Grandmother left two children in diapers and ran away in the 20’s. My Mom never saw the point of two sets of dishes to care for. Me? I love and cherish what few pieces of family history I have, a set of antique china would be a wonderful heirloom. Each piece would hold the memories and mysteries of meals gone before. At 60+ my hopes for china of my own grow thin, especially since an auto accident put me on disability and a fixed income which stretches barely to cover necessities. So cherish your china, preserve the memories and pass them along to your children and grandchildren to love.

Trish February 15, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hello!

I inherited the same china from my grandmother and have been trying to find out the pattern name…have you had any luck? I am missing a few pieces and would love to find replacements.

Thank you!
Trish Guccione

Mary December 9, 2016 at 3:01 am

Trish,
I came across your blog while searching and searching for exactly the pattern that you have. Imagine my surprise when I actually found a picture of a whole set! I am so jealous as I just recently picked up what I thought was a two-handled teacup (actually it’s called a bullion bowl, go figure) and saucer at a thrift store. I absolutely love it and have been searching high and low for the pattern. I came across a picture someone posted and finally tracked down that the pattern is called Jacquin. It is by Noritake and you are correct that the mark is from 1914-1940 and replacements.com shows it as discontinued circa 1931. You’ve got a treasure there. I remember having to hand-wash all of my grandmothers china (a FULL 12 place setting also) Nothing looked better than having it and all the family around to celebrate the holidays. Many good memories that I’ll never forget. Enjoy it and try not to get dishpan hands :)

Mary December 9, 2016 at 3:04 am

Oops, sorry I meant to say Kacey. This is what happens around the holidays. Too many things to do and not enough sleep + on the trail of obscure information on the internet leads to brain loss. Maybe that or it’s just menopause :wallbash:

Mary December 9, 2016 at 3:27 am

Sorry about this. A little bit more research may have turned up another option. Your pattern may be called Jasmine. They look very similar and were made around the same time.