A Rose by Any Other Name

by Kay~Kacey on 3/13/2010

flowers-in-winter-5954

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
~ William Shakespeare

Ah, going tangential here for a bit… I feel like I have a split personality. About half the world calls me Kacey and half calls me Kay. I do my photography under the name Kay Pickens. (as you can see on my watermarked photos.) The Kacey came about from my initials from my maiden name. K.C. Anyway, just a brief ramble about my nicknames. Neither of which is my given name. :crazy:

The Kay I picked up at about 6th grade. The Kacey sometime in my 20’s. Ah, life is confusing sometimes, isn’t it? Well, I answer to both, so no worries. I’m just the tiniest bit schizophrenic… :hide:

As an aside, because there usually is one…I hated studying Shakespeare in school. I hated the dissecting of every. single. line. What does it really mean? What is the hidden meaning? Etc. Etc. I love to read, but I never liked the lit classes where you’d hammer a story to death digging for all the metaphors to life, etc. Some of the “classics” bored me to tears. I like having read them…but I didn’t like READING them, you know?

I’m rambling…

Okay, I’ll bring you back to our regularly scheduled weekend. Do you have a nickname? More than one nickname?? :mrgreen:

Treasia March 13, 2010 at 7:31 am

Now you’ve got me wondering what your real name is? Come on, spill it? LOL. Yes I have a nickname-Terry. When I first got married at 18 I started going by my given name-Treasia. So half of my world calls me Terry the other half Treasia. I always know if it’s family calling if they ask for Terry.

Kate March 13, 2010 at 8:04 am

Kacey, (and I’m going to continue calling you that because it’s how I know you) this photograph is absolutely stunning. I love your photography.
Until I was 21, I was known as Katy to my family and friends. When I turned 21, I decided that Katy was too young sounding so I changed my name to Kate which I thought sounded ever-so-much more sophisticated. So whenever anyone calls me Katy, I know it’s someone I knew from my youth.

Mental P Mama March 13, 2010 at 8:43 am

My old school nickname is Belle. And I haven’t been called that is what feels like a lifetime;) LOVE this shot! :love:

Di March 13, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hubby is 59 years old and STILL rants about Shakespeare and how he could. not. stand. it. in high school. I on the other hand rather enjoyed it. Amazing the things we hang on to that kind of haunt us throughout our lives, isn’t it?

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
:crazy:

annbb March 13, 2010 at 9:42 am

My parents still call me and my grandmothers both called me Annlie, grandad called me Annie.

And during college I had the lovely nickname ~Bummer~. :wft:
(My maiden name was Bumgarner, thus the nickname. Thankfully I haven’t been called that in years.)

Jeanne Klaver March 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

Gigi. I hadn’t thought about nicknames in years. Thanks for the memory.

Tori Lennox March 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

And how do we know there’s any hidden symbolism in Shakespeare’s work? Has it never occurred to anyone (i.e. teachers) that maybe he just wanted to tell interesting stories?

Tracey March 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm

My brother used to call me “Trace-face” when I was a kid. I hated it.

Other than Mom and Hon and Trace, I don’t have any ;0)

Wendy March 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Swerds. Swerds is probably my favorite nickname and no one calls me that anymore outside of one old-high-school friend that I run into from time to time. It’s a play off my maiden name.

Shakespeare is one of those things. I had absolutely no appreciation of the man or his work until I was cast in a production of “Macbeth” my freshman year of college. Now I LOVE Shakespeare. Love him to a nearly embarrassing extent. I honestly believe the trick is to see a production done well. Really well. The language that seems so difficult when broken up in iambic pentameter on the page can really come alive when heard. Plus, most modern adapters cut out all the extra stuff that ol’ Willy needed to include just so that the audience would have a clue. A noisy movie theater of today would have been extremely quiet to the audiences of Shakespeare’s time.