Deer Resistant…

by Kay~Kacey on 5/26/2010

Sure, right. :roll:

delphinium-7024

Good thing I grabbed some photos of our “deer resistant” Delphiniums.

delphinium-7094

Cause these stalks are all that are left of the 3 delphinium plants we put in… :mad2:

Really? This was worse deer crack than the tulips!! …and the purple flowers were so pretty… grrrrrrr. :wallbash:

We’ll have to try something different. Again.  Suggestions? Perennial, truly something the deer hate, oh, and it needs to be blooming on June 17th for the rehearsal dinner. :mrgreen:

Di May 26, 2010 at 7:18 am

The deer crack in our yard are the hosta. They wait until it’s huge and lovely and then WHAMM!! They eat it down to nubbins.

Lynellen May 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

I suggest silk delphiniums. :)

Mental P Mama May 26, 2010 at 9:24 am

Gah. And LOL @ Lynellen…..

Wendy May 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Have you tried herbs?

Lavender is supposed to be deer repellent, and it supposedly doesn’t attract bees. Yarrow might work as well. Rosemary and Russian sage are the tops of the list, but don’t flower. However, they smell heavenly! The sage can even grow over time to reach 5 feet tall!

Plus, oven-roasted potatoes or hobo-potatoes on the grill with fresh rosemary? YUMMM!

JC May 26, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Try Catmint (Nepeta)

superguy May 27, 2010 at 9:01 am

Catnip, while in the mint family and fragrant, attracts cats of the world and thereby loses all of its appeal. Not Good fragrance. I think russian sage does bloom but was unaware of its aroma. Rosemary is an annual in this clime, though I love the smell and usage. I have lavender across the front of the house and love it. The french variety has a beautiful leaf also. ( I think). Thanks to all for ideas. (even the silk one).

JC May 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Sorry to disagree with you Superguy I said CATMINT or NEPETA not Catnip it has gray foliage and bluish purple flowers late spring early summer. Cats could care less about it. I may not know much but I do have a degree in Botany