Speaking of Life’s Unanswered Questions

by Kay~Kacey on 5/28/2010

Yes, those pesky unanswered questions. Here’s one for you. purple-finch-7052

Why do they call this bird a purple finch?? Does he look purple to you? No, he looks red, doesn’t he?

purple-finch-7050

Red, I tell you! Did the group of guys that got together to name all the birds not know their colors? Purple finch?? That’s just….wrong…. :anyone:

What is it about guys and colors? Do you think they know the color “coral”? No, they’d call it orange, wouldn’t they? No idea of the subtleties of shades and hues. Okay, I rest my case. This bird is named incorrectly. The end.

LauraP May 28, 2010 at 7:00 am

We could avoid the whole color misnomer and call it a house finch. Not that it is one — could be. Maybe. Or not.

Di May 28, 2010 at 7:57 am

Men and colors? Hubby calls turquoise green. Needless to say, I was upset when he dropped and broke my ‘green’ fiestaware plate a while back. Oh, the bird… let’s see. Maybe it’s not really red. I’ll go ask Hubby what color HE thinks it is since he’s such a color expert. Be right back.

Di
:woot:

annbb May 28, 2010 at 8:10 am

Actually I’d call it a ~magenta~ finch. :mrgreen:

Cheri May 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Probably named by the same guy who named the red bud tree.

David May 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

Actually, I’m pretty sure that’s the more common House Finch. I believe a male Purple Finch would have quite a bit more red in the shoulders this time of year (breeding season). Plus, their upper beak doesn’t have as much downward curve. I get your point, though! :)

Tori Lennox May 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I’ve often wondered why “purple” finches were red, too.

Gretchen May 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm

In this neck of the woods, (Virgina) we call those house finches. Had them in CA too.