Fort Walton Beach-Okaloosa Island

by Kay~Kacey on 10/8/2010

Okay, back to another vacation review post. After we left St. Augustine Beach, we headed across Florida. We were torn between the Destin area and the Gulf Shores area, but decided to try Destin since we hadn’t been there in about 6 years or so.

destin-8672

I will say that Destin has the most beautiful water. Hands down. We usually stay on on Okaloosa Island at the Summerlin condos and either rent through VRBO or one of the rental companies. The Summerlin condos are a relatively smaller complex, 6 floors and about 6? units per floor.

destin-8645

This was off season, so not very crowded by their standards…but very crowded coming from the deserted beaches of South Ponte Vedra Beach out of St. Augustine. This was the view from our balcony on the 5th floor.

destin-8650This was the view from the walkway on the back of the building of the Santa Rosa Sound. Very pretty.

The thing we don’t like about the Destin area, and we’ll probably not go back? We are beach walkers. Destin beaches are SO steep. The water only varies slightly with the tides too. Not much wet sand beach to walk on, and if you do, one foot is way uphill and one downhill as you walk along the beach. Most people seem to walk up in the flat sandy part of the beach, but we really enjoy the water’s edge.

destin-8681Like I said though, the water is crystal clear. We could see see turtles swimming and lots of fish. Pretty water.

If you go to that area, be sure to eat at Staff Restaurant on Miracle Strip Parkway. Wonderful! I’m not much of a meat eater, but I get their steak. Yummy. Oh, and they have very cold beer. Just sayin’

destin-8688

Destin also serves up brilliant sunsets down the beach, don’t they? :love:

As we get older, we seem to get more and more picky about the beaches we go to and the amount of people on them. I’m pretty sure we’re headed back to St. Augustine next year, unless we can find an area of the Outer Banks where you can see the actual shoreline from your house and not have such huge sand dunes to climb over, because we loved the Outer Banks too. Just missed being able to see the waves break on shore from our deck.

SouthernSass October 8, 2010 at 7:02 am

Beautiful photos! I seriously want to visit Destin now – you hooked me with the “turtles swimming.” I am a sucker for any type of turtle, but sea turtles are my favorite! :love:

Mental P Mama October 8, 2010 at 8:32 am

The Redneck Riviera! I spent many years there;) :love:

Kate October 9, 2010 at 8:54 am

I totally agree with you about the beach at Destin. It looks way too steep. I have the same sort of preferences as you do, I guess. But I prefer the beaches on Ocracoke Island. Perfect for walking on, BUT (and this is the deal-breaker for you), there are no houses along the shoreline. There is one single rental house that I know of where you can see the water, and it’s a long way from it. All of the homes are built in the ‘safe’ area, down by the harbor and away from the ocean’s edge.
For years, we stayed on Hatteras Island at Hatteras Dunes. We always had a wonderful view of the waves from the various rental homes we stayed in.

Kristy October 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Wow, that all looks fab! Love the first pic in particular.

Christine October 10, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oh my! :o
I usually just read you through my browser. Life has left me precious little time to actually comment but had to come and tell you it was a joy to see these photos. I grew up near and around Fort Walton Beach. I loved it so much. Still miss “home” sometimes.

Oh, and when I was living there… oh gosh it has been since 1992, Destin beaches were never that steep! They were nice slopes of sugar white sand. Alot has happened since then (hurrricanes, etc.).

Anyway… Thanks for sharing these!

Kristina October 19, 2010 at 5:08 am

Wow, those pictures are so beautiful, I especially love the first and the last one! So nice! Looks like a great vacation!
Viele Gruesse, Kristina

rocky hill owner of hill recovery addicted to Suboxone February 6, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Very іnteresting points you havе mentioned ,
aplpreciate it for putting up. “‘Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.” by Malaclyⲣse the Younger.