First Indigo Buntings of the Season

by Kay~Kacey on 5/16/2011

My beloved indigo buntings have returned.

indigo bunting in spring in St. Louis

Isn’t he cute sitting out there in the rain? I saw the first one and screamed, jumped up to get my camera…and, of course, scared it away. I was patient after that. Stalked the window.

indigo bunting at the feeder

I was rewarded. More indigo bunting posing. Then it turned dark and dreary for the rest of the weekend. I’m hoping for sun today to get some more shots before they move on.

I do not know why these cute little birds thrill me so much when they come to the midwest for their few weeks in the spring. But they do. I’d love to get a shot of a feeder full of them again. I must be patient… (Oh, quit laughing, you who know me so well… I am SO a patient person…really…)

annbb May 16, 2011 at 8:08 am

Wonderful! I had one last year, none this year so far. BUT I did have a Baltimore oriole fly through last week.

Charlene S Nelson May 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm

They are so beautiful. I’m sorry you only have them for a short while. They stay around all summer in central Illinois.

Deserthen May 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm

What a beautiful little Bunting! Enjoy them!

I feel the same about the swallows when they return each year! They just make me so darn happy!

Kate May 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

These are beautiful ~ BEAUTIFUL, Kacey. I’ve yet to see one come through here, but maybe it’s only because they came and went so quickly. Who knows? Bluebirds thrill me. It seems we were doing the same thing this weekend. Trying to be patient. I like this smile. :lips:

Mental P Mama May 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm

So. Envious. :|

LauraP May 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

They sing so beautifully, too. How sad that they’re only with you for a short while there. We have them all summer out here in the boonies and a few even spend the winter.